Considering changing from c220cdi to an E class

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Otleygas

Car
Mercedes C220 CDi
Hi.

I've owned 2001 c220 cdi saloon for just over 3 years now and have been delighted with it (only had one problem which was a faulty MAF sensor). Still going very nicely with 'just' 115k on the clock.

I was going to keep it another year or so, but the only problem is, it's just too small for our needs (3 kids, wife and camping gear etc don't fit easily)

I'm considering reading up for an E class estate with the extra seats in the boot which would come in handy for transporting kids friends etc.

A couple of questions. Firstly , is there anything particular I should be aware of/on the look out for when looking at E classes (common faults etc). And secondly, I could prob get together about £5k (£6k max) plus the sale from my current car. I would like to get a 2006 facelift model if at all pos, with less than 100,000 on the clock...is that realistic? Or maybe I would be just as good spending a bit less and going for something like an 03 or 04 plate?

Any views most welcome

Thanks.

Thanks - Yes, I guess the 7 seat versions carry a bit of a premium too? Depends how much I can get for the C class I suppose.

Go for a facelifted W211 as they are improved and don't have SBC, which is a financial time-bomb.

An E is a definite cut above a C class.

Go for a facelifted W211 as they are improved and don't have SBC, which is a financial time-bomb.

An E is a definite cut above a C class.

It is a cut above. And in the estate the boot is enormous. But moving up from a 2006 C to a 2009 S211 E my main passenger complains regularly about the shortage of storage nooks & crannies compared to the C. The glove box isn't big enough for the handbook for example. She is a short axxe but needs to have her seat quite a long way back too. Personally I find it much more solid and comfortable but she preferred the C. Just my two pennorth...

Hi.

I've owned 2001 c220 cdi saloon for just over 3 years now and have been delighted with it (only had one problem which was a faulty MAF sensor). Still going very nicely with 'just' 115k on the clock.

I was going to keep it another year or so, but the only problem is, it's just too small for our needs (3 kids, wife and camping gear etc don't fit easily)

I'm considering reading up for an E class estate with the extra seats in the boot which would come in handy for transporting kids friends etc.

A couple of questions. Firstly , is there anything particular I should be aware of/on the look out for when looking at E classes (common faults etc). And secondly, I could prob get together about £5k (£6k max) plus the sale from my current car. I would like to get a 2006 facelift model if at all pos, with less than 100,000 on the clock...is that realistic? Or maybe I would be just as good spending a bit less and going for something like an 03 or 04 plate?

Any views most welcome

Thanks.

I am not sure what your current vehicle is worth, however I looked at a what appeared to be a lovely one the other day. It had 81k, full history and priced at £7,500 see attached link.

Used Mercedes-benz E Class Saloon E280 Cdi Avantgarde 4dr Tip Auto in Luton, Bedfordshire | Waller Avenue Motors

I am in no way attached to the garage or seller, I just feel its a lot if car for little money.

I am not sure what your current vehicle is worth, however I looked at a what appeared to be a lovely one the other day. It had 81k, full history and priced at £7,500 see attached link.

Used Mercedes-benz E Class Saloon E280 Cdi Avantgarde 4dr Tip Auto in Luton, Bedfordshire | Waller Avenue Motors

I am in no way attached to the garage or seller, I just feel its a lot if car for little money.

Thanks. Looks fab. Unfortunately wife will only permit me to get an estate (although I like the saloon shape much more).

I need to do some research on what I might get for mine!

Thanks. Looks fab. Unfortunately wife will only permit me to get an estate (although I like the saloon shape much more).

I need to do some research on what I might get for mine!

Yeah sorry I realised after I posted you needed an estate, it really was a nice car though in the flesh.

Hi, Dieselman is spot on about going for a W211 facelift model, mid 2006 onwards l believe. There where quite a few issues on the earlier models which were corrected on the facelift model. Great cars but not easy to find one at a reasonable price. The seats are far more comfortable IMO that a c class. The good ones are snapped up very quickly. I have been looking for one for a while now. I don't think the 7 seaters carry much of a premium, also parking sensors are a nice extra to have, Good luck in your search!

I have a pre facelift E320 estate and is the best car I have ever owned
Just did a run to Cornwall with 4 adults 2 dogs roof box and luggage and averaged over 38 mpg over 315 miles not bad for a 3.0 v6 no back aches no hassles
Mine has now covered 127k miles and you wouldn't know it although I am getting twitchy about the SBC so I'd defo get a facelift if the budget can stretch that far (personally I like the look of my older style front end more)
Do your homework and be picky but buy one you won't regret it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom