Considering Dynavin..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CLSMark

Banned
Car
Volkswagen Touareg
I'm an OEM guy. But the rather dated factory head unit in my w219 is getting on my nerves.

Does anyone have one? Good/bad indifferent?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Time for Aftermarket, Pioneer or Alpine I can recommend

Do you use an iPhone?

Here's one installed in a W211

merc-e-class-w211-carplay.jpg

I'll have a look if they make a flush fit pro-fitting kit for your W219

Here's one installed in a W211

merc-e-class-w211-carplay.jpg

I'll have a look if they make a flush fit pro-fitting kit for your W219

That doesn't look half bad.

Funnily enough I've been looking at a Sony one.

Yeh I have an iPhone

That doesn't look half bad.

Funnily enough I've been looking at a Sony one.

Yeh I have an iPhone

If you use an iPhone

I'd highly recommend a CarPlay unit...

The Pioneer SPH-Da120 is one of the best value units at the moment

Good spec, 13 band EQ, 4V pre-amp out (if you ever add AMP) etc

Bare in mind it relies on Apple Maps for sat-Nav but it is very intergrated with your phone which is a bonus. Spotify/Amazon music etc

If you use an iPhone

I'd highly recommend a CarPlay unit...

The Pioneer SPH-Da120 is one of the best value units at the moment

Good spec, 13 band EQ, 4V pre-amp out (if you ever add AMP) etc

Bare in mind it relies on Apple Maps for sat-Nav but it is very intergrated with your phone which is a bonus. Spotify/Amazon music etc

I've looked at the pioneer reviews, seems ok, but doesn't seem to show the album art via Spotify, pedantic I know. But I quite like seeing it.

How is apple maps? Don't think I've ever used it

I've looked at the pioneer reviews, seems ok, but doesn't seem to show the album art via Spotify, pedantic I know. But I quite like seeing it.

How is apple maps? Don't think I've ever used it

It does show album art :)

It fades it into background on carplay

Or if your just playing the track via iPhone it will show it, (not carplay if your just listening to music) hard to explain lol

Apple maps is very good, no speed cam alert BUT it uses TomTom maps and traffic... it's really quite good :)

It does show album art :)

It fades it into background on carplay

Or if your just playing the track via iPhone it will show it, (not carplay if your just listening to music) hard to explain lol

Apple maps is very good, no speed cam alert BUT it uses TomTom maps and traffic... it's really quite good :)

Good info there mate. Thanks

You wouldn't happen to know if a 2010 w219 will have the fibre optic in the rear, I cba with pulling the car apart?

Believe this is all you will need to make it work ( fascia, cage, aerial adaptor, steering wheel interface)

Car Audio Equipment | Buy online at Car Audio Security

As well as the pioneer patch lead if you decide on the Pioneer at £3.99

Best double check with someone else who has done the W219 upgrade

But I don't see there being any issues

The Pioneer is about to be superceded by a new model that includes DAB radio. I would wait a bit if I were you.

The CLS almost certainly will have fibre with the AGW in the rear so you if you have comand or audio-50 all the speaker and antenna wiring is in the rear of the car.

Believe this is all you will need to make it work ( fascia, cage, aerial adaptor, steering wheel interface)

Car Audio Equipment | Buy online at Car Audio Security

As well as the pioneer patch lead if you decide on the Pioneer at £3.99

Best double check with someone else who has done the W219 upgrade

But I don't see there being any issues

That kit only works for W219/W211 cars with Audio-20 pre model year 2009. It will not work for cars with comand already or the NTG 2.5 audio-20 from model year 2009 onwards.

That kit only works for W219/W211 cars with Audio-20 pre model year 2009. It will not work for cars with comand already or the NTG 2.5 audio-20 from model year 2009 onwards.

I nearly bought everything last night. Phew

So in simple terms, if I replace the head unit with after market, the rear speakers etc won't work?

I nearly bought everything last night. Phew

So in simple terms, if I replace the head unit with after market, the rear speakers etc won't work?

If you have comand then you cant just change the head unit as all the speakers and antennas are in the rear of the car. They are connected to the AGW which is buried in the boot.

email me your VIN number to [email protected] and i'll tell you what you need.

Your car has comand NTG 2.5 with changer and media interface fitted.

Good news in that you dont have HK or an AGW so the connections are at the front.

Why do you want to change it?

Your car has comand NTG 2.5 with changer and media interface fitted.

Good news in that you dont have HK or an AGW so the connections are at the front.

Why do you want to change it?

The OEM unit feels a bit 2003 for my liking.

Is the connect2 kit still unsuitable? I.e. The steering controls etc?

Last edited:
The OEM unit feels a bit 2003 for my liking.

Is the connect2 kit still unsuitable? I.e. The steering controls etc?

The connects2 system is not correct. The loom is wrong. You will need them to supply one for the model year 2009/2010 W219. The wiring for the earlier cars is different.

You are aware that you will lose the media interface you have and that your instrument cluster wont display anything from the radio or the navigation/phone? The steering wheel controls will work in a limited fashion thats all.

Last edited:
The connects2 system is not correct. The loom is wrong. You will need them to supply one for the model year 2009/2010 W219. The wiring for the earlier cars is different.

You are aware that you will lose the media interface you have and that your instrument cluster wont display anything from the radio or the navigation/phone? The steering wheel controls will work in a limited fashion thats all.

Bummer.

Yeh I'm aware of that. I'm only at the considering stage at the moment.

I'm not huge on aftermarket. Hence why I'm considering the plug and play dynavin. At least it replicates the OEM unit.

Bummer.

I'm not huge on aftermarket. Hence why I'm considering the plug and play dynavin. At least it replicates the OEM unit.

Get a good guarantee from the seller as those units are unreliable and often dont integrate with the cluster etc as they claim.

What features are looking for over and above what you have?

You will adversely affect the value of the car if you change the head unit but if you keep the old parts you can always put it back as standard before selling when that day comes.

Bummer.

My advice, for what it's worth, is give it a bit of time to be 100% sure you can't live with the old one. I went through the must have something better phase as everyone probably does but found I adapted quite easily and then saved my self a fortune, mine's an NTG1 so bigger bucks/headaches involved.

I now do nearly all my driving using the directions in the instrument cluster now, the countdown is far more useful, much safer given the crap position of the COMAND screen, and miss this function in newer cars with supposedly better navs as Alfie hinted at. The limited postcode function isn't great but I found I started using the POIs more and most of the places I needed directions to were businesses, eg hotels etc, so easily found.

Yes, the graphics aren't great but i leave it on MAP when not using the nav which at least is a rainbow bedspread like a lot of current nav screens as it's handy for traffic at any time.

As Alfie also mentioned, I read loads of horror stories of these cheap (quality not so much price!) head units packing up quite early in their life though you might get one of the goods obviously.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom