considering gas

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sshamgit

currantly run a e class320cdi 02 year contemplating a 05 year eclass petrol and converting to gas wot do u think guys

I had my W140 S320 converted 4 years ago at a mileage of 145,000, I have since covered over 75,000 miles running on lpg. The only problem I has was late last year when i needed the gas injectors changing (cost £300). This was more than worth it for the reduced running costs. The tank I had fitted is in place of the spare wheel so it does not intrude on the boot space. Filling the tank costs £20 and will last for 200+ miles, so cost of 10p per mile, there is no drop in performance. When I eventually change the car I will certainly have the new one converted to lpg

Do you find that you can find the LPG easily Jamesh when you go outside of your own area? And do you service the car in exactly the same way etc...with the cost of running my car and the cost of everything else right now I'm thinking of converting...is it easy to get a conversion too? And finally how much did it cost you to get the conversion?

I had my E280 W210 converted last year by Green Conversions in Warwickshire - great service, and no problems with the conversion at all (cost £1800). I also had the tank in the spare wheel recess, but if I have a conversion done again I would opt for a larger tank as I sometimes find myself filling up twice a week - the 60 litre tank has a range of about 250 miles.

No problems at all and a huge saving over petrol. I have a an account with Countrywide who have a number of sites in Glos/Worcs/Wiltshire etc. There are also a fdew other BP and Shell sites selling gas locally.

No difference when you have the car serviced; you need the LPG system serviced once a year but I think that costs around £50.

Matt

Hi Jadefox, lpg is easy to find, you can buy a map that lists all lpg stations in the UK, but you will usually find that commercial lpg sites are cheaper, I currently pay 49.5p per litre, the cost of conversion varies, I paid £1500 4 years ago, I have seen the cost as high as £2700 for a six cylinder engine, most converters will lend you a courtesy car while they convert yours. If you have your car converted make sure it is by a reputable converter who will issue a certificate otherwise you will find it almost impossible to insure your car, you say that with the cost of everything you are considering it, well at the time I had my S class converted I was spending £130 a week on fuel (when it was 77p per litre), overnight that dropped to £60 per week, the conversion paid for itself within six months

Hello! I have two W202 (C180 and C200 kompressor T) on lpg (tartarini kit) and is great!!! Here in Portugal the gasoline is 1.55 € per litre and the lpg 0.655 €!!!

I have a converted W210 E280. Cost me £1800 in May 08. Should get the money back in about 12-14,000 miles. No probs with power. If you don't carry a lot in your boot, strongly suggest a 110 litre tank.

I had had my clk230 Komp converted about a month ago. 67ltr tank that holds about 54ltr is giving me about 250 miles. all the motorway services seem to sell the gas at about 62pence a ltr

I had had my clk230 Komp converted about a month ago. 67ltr tank that holds about 54ltr is giving me about 250 miles. all the motorway services seem to sell the gas at about 62pence a ltr

13.3 p/mile.

Just as an aside, it annoys me that whilst I received regular letters from Countrywide (who I have an account with for autogas) telling me that LPG has increased in price due to the rising cost of petrol, they haven't reduced the price of LPG in recent weeks in line with the slight reduction in petrol costs.

Last week Asda at Cribbs Causeway, Bristol, were selling Autogas at less than 50p per litre, so there is a tremendous variation in cost.

I had my E280 W210 converted last year by Green Conversions in Warwickshire - Matt

Hi Matt,
What sort of fuel economy do you get on petrol and on gas. I'd be really interested to know.

Just an aside, you cannot take the car through the Channel tunnel.

maybe relevant, maybe not !

I have a 2001 W220 S500 fitted with the BRC Sequent LPG kit. The conversion cost was around £2200. I've had no issues with misfires, fault codes etc.

Fredhead is right about the size of tank. I have a 60L tank in the spare wheel well which gives me around 220 miles on the motorway, however around town you can find yourself filling more often then you'd like. If you can lose the space in the boot a 110L tank would be great as it would provide you with similar range to the standard 88L petrol tank.

My father allways ran his petrol cars on gas . He allways installed the kit him self , up until he bought a Granada , which was his frist injected car . He got this fitted by specailest , the car never ran right again after about 6 months . On cold start ups the car sometimes back fired and would damage the air flow meter .
Has any body had these kind of problems with gas conversions , I would like to convert my car to gas but I am unsure because of the trouble my father had with the Ford

Just an aside, you cannot take the car through the Channel tunnel.
maybe relevant, maybe not !

Does anybody know if there are any issues going to France on a ferry or sea cat with LPG cars?

Fredhead is right about the size of tank. I have a 60L tank in the spare wheel well which gives me around 220 miles on the motorway, however around town you can find yourself filling more often then you'd like.

Does anybody know the maximum sized upright tank that can be fitted in the spare wheel in the left hand side of a W210 estate?

I have been asking some garages about this and found one garage who would absolutely definitely never install an upright tank in a car boot. He said it would not meet one part of the UK installation specification on security because there was nothing strong enough to attach it to. He basically said that anybody who did fit such tank should not be trusted as they had no regard for safety.

I don't know whether to believe him or not.

What is the current state of the tax situation with LPG?

I had a Range Rover for many years and this has always been hugely popular in those vehicles for obvious reasons...but there was a 5 year moritorium on tax increases on LPG that must be close to expiring......I just figured it was one of those things that would be kept artificially low until enough people were converted, then hike it up.....call me a cycnic!

Hi Matt,
What sort of fuel economy do you get on petrol and on gas. I'd be really interested to know.

I've got an E240 (2.6 V6) and I get less MPG with gas - on motorway journeys I easily get over 30mpg with petrol and from rough calculations I'd reckon about 25mpg with LPG. I haven't regretted it at all - there are plenty of convenient filling stations near me, although prices do vary quite a bit.

I had the conversion done by Green Conversions in Bidford on Avon (north of Evesham) and would happily recommend them.

What is the current state of the tax situation with LPG?

I had a Range Rover for many years and this has always been hugely popular in those vehicles for obvious reasons...but there was a 5 year moritorium on tax increases on LPG that must be close to expiring......I just figured it was one of those things that would be kept artificially low until enough people were converted, then hike it up.....call me a cycnic!

The tax is very slightly lower with 'dual fuel' - I think it's only £10 per year less.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom