Considering new C Class, advice please?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

malc_n

Car
CLS350cdi
Hi there

Haven't been around for a few years, after a strange "heart over head" decision to move from MB to Alfa Romeo. Lovely car, fully loaded 159 2.4JTDm, unfortunately after a few years of MB ownership (I had a W211 270CDI before that) I had forgotten every Alfa comes with the opportunity to get on first name terms with both your dealer and numerous AA relay drivers (recovered around 8 times, spent around 3-4 months of the 3 years off the road)...

Anyway, the Alfa goes back soon and I am looking for a more reliable replacement (its a company car). I am considering a C220CDI, probably elegance over sport as gives more money for options. Will have to be auto, and want comand. Does anyone have comand and the media interface they are using to control an ipod, if so is it any good? I have seen various references on the web to an ipod kit, but dont believe its the same thing,m as apparently with the media interface you just then need to buy a cable?

Also looking to get Xenons, Memory seats, parktronic and heated seats. Anything else I should look out for?

Sorry the post is so long, but thanks for reading and any advice you can give!

Cheers

Malc

Compare the elegance and sport in the looks department.
I know what my money is on.
Other options worthy of consideration are
Sunroof (this really does make a BIG difference)
Rain sensing wipers (might be standard on the W204)
Phone pre-wire and cradle

I was lent a new C class with a sunroof, when last I was in for a service. Maybe it's just me - but the restricted headroom, even with seat as low as possible, made driving uncomfortable, I was grateful to get my own car back.

It seems that whenever you order a sunroof, they take headroom away to fit it. You might be fine, but make sure you test-drive a car with a sunroof fitted to make sure. The MB may not get you on first name terms with the AA patrols, but the one I drove with a sunroof would have got me on very good terms whith my local Chiropractor......

Oh... and the interior trim seemed a bit "low rent"..... the plastics reminded me of a Vauxhall Vectra. Nothing wrong with a Vectra, of course, but when I got back into my old 51 reg C class, it just seemed more "mercedes-ish".....

It's hard to define what makes a mercedes, but the new C just didn't feel like it to me.

Last edited:
Also looking to get Xenons, Memory seats, parktronic and heated seats. Anything else I should look out for?
As you know, the W204 Elegance and the Sport are pretty well-spec'd as standard and include things like auto-dimming mirrors and rain-sensing wipers. If you go for the Elegance then in addition to the options you've mentioned, I'd spec Parameter Steering (it's standard on the Sport). Regardless of the trim line you go for I'd give serious consideration to the Harman Kardon audio upgrade as the standard system is no better than OK soundwise and the split/fold rear seat is useful if you ever need to carry anything long. The standard Bluetooth Telephony works well unless you have lots of contacts on your phone that change regularly (in which case you have to manually send the new details to the car) or habitually drive in poor signal areas in which case Telephone Prewire and a SAP cradle should be on your list. The standard 12-spoke alloys on the Elegance take more cleaning effort than something with less spokes, so you may like to consider one of the optional wheel patterns.

My W204 is just over a year and 15k miles old and has been essentially faultless. I know some don't think the interior is that classy, but it's a model of ergonomic simplicity and I bet it will look just the same with 150k miles on it as it does when it's new. That definitely isn't the case with some other manufacturer's offerings.

BTW, your experiences with your Alfa gave me a smile :)

Cupholder. It's an optional extra!! :crazy:

Metallic paint. Was an option when I got mine!

Split folding rear seats. Handy and should be standard. But ain't.

And they do a gorgeous set of 5 spoke 18in AMG's - They finish it off nicely.

I think the c-class interior looks great - bang up to date and simple to use. Far better quality and finish than a Vectra, and a lot nicer than some other mercedes models.

But - I would say that.

Thanks guys, interesting feedback. Just come back from my local dealers, where luckily they had both Elegance and Sport models on display. Had a sit in both, and being of larger than average build found the Elegance seats more comfortable, as the side bolsters were a little tight on the Sport, so that will probably influence the decision somewhat. Was pretty happy with the interior, even the Artico seats seemed fine, yes you can tell the differance when you pinch it, but certainly better than it was a few years ago. On the sunroof, I do like the look of it, however being just over 6ft 4inches I think I will need the headroom, have always had problems in cars with sunroofs in the past. Will look at the HK sound system, have a Bose setup in my Alfa and think I would miss going back to a standard system, as I remember what a revelation it was when I first got it. The wheels in the brochure do look good, but all affect the emissions as well as lease cost (more expensive tyres) so wont be a top priority, and I could use the extra exercise in cleaning them.

Thanks again for your help, will let you know how it turns out! FYI, the other car in the running is the Passat CC, looks great and can get pretty much fully loaded, but the front seats seem to have a very short seat squab if you go for the memory option, and as my wife uses the car a lot as well thats virtually a mandatory!)

Cheers

Malc

If you're looking at Passat CC then have a quick gander at the Skoda Superb.....

I think you will see it is far better value than the VW - but am sure you will come back and order the Star...:D

PS ..your Alfa comments made me grin - but I do know what you mean about heart etc...

Compare the elegance and sport in the looks department.
I know what my money is on.
Other options worthy of consideration are
Rain sensing wipers (might be standard on the W204)
Phone pre-wire and cradle
Elegance has a much nicer ride and exactly the same performance. The 'sport' thing is pretty pseudo IMO. Bit like fitting AMG body kits. Pretty naff IMO but thank goodness we are all different.

I've had loads of sunroofs but never use them when I have aircon as they are so noisy. Lot of loot to buy for so little IMO.

Passat has a lot less legroom than the C Class. Different league too.

Last edited:
I just had a new w204 C class estate delivered. Elegance 320 Cdi. The colour is a deep metallic burgundy, although Murky B call it something else.
The car is much classier than it used to be. All round it is much tighter and much sportier. The 320 in this body makes it a bit of a rocket although that means nice, easy, cruising for me. We have the sunroof and it does reduce head height. It seems like a nice option. There are also intelligent Xenon lights on there but they look just the same to me. The 7 speed box is nice with almost seamless changes when it is warm. Lots of nice touches all round such as buttons to press to open and close things.
Bluetooth is standard so you don't need a phone thing. The command has a spare 6 Gig for music.
By the way saw Sherman Robertson recently, best rockin' blues man I have ever heard. Got his CD, sounds great in the car.
It has an aux so you can connect Ipod or mp3. Pay a bit more and you can have your ipod fully integrated.
The Avantgarde with that big Murky star in the grill is a little too SUV man for me and so the Elegance, aimed more at comfort is for me. However Murky told me that you can swap out teh big star for what I consider to be the nicer, Elegance grill.

The Avantgarde with that big Murky star in the grill is a little too SUV man for me and so the Elegance, aimed more at comfort is for me.

I would have preferred the more classic sedan look of Elegance but I guess wife isn't as old (physically and mentally) as myself and preferred Avantgarde (no need to tell which one we ordered :eek: ).

But are UK Avantgarde models coming with sports suspension? For us it is option code 486 and the standard suspension should be the same on Elegance and Avantgarde (I guess also on the Classic line).

I would have preferred the more classic sedan look of Elegance but I guess wife isn't as old (physically and mentally) as myself and preferred Avantgarde (no need to tell which one we ordered :eek: ).

But are UK Avantgarde models coming with sports suspension? For us it is option code 486 and the standard suspension should be the same on Elegance and Avantgarde (I guess also on the Classic line).
Yes, Mrs Tattoo ordered ours. I just signed and paid. 'I got the 320 cdi because I know that you like that.'

Well looks like we are good to go, only down side is having to wait until June (when the lease on the Alfa expires), unless the dealer network and lease company come up with something in the channel with a good deal that changes the fleet managers mind! Final spec is looking like -

C220CDI Elegance Auto
COMAND
Harman Kardon Surround Sound
Media Interface
DAB Tuner
Parameter Steering
Memory Seats
Heated Seats
Bi-Xenon Lights
Parktronic

I bet the Alfa will start sulking now, so expecting a few more encounters with the AA before June!

Thanks to all for your help, will keep you posted on how it is when I eventually get it!

Looks like a nice spec - I'm sure you'll be very happy with it. Any particular reason for the DAB tuner and what colour(s) are you going for?

Listen to the radio a lot, and have DAB at home, so for the sake of £300 it seemed a bargain! Colour wise first choice is Tenorite Grey, black interior. Have you stuck with the Artico or upgraded to leather? I was reasonably impressed with the Artico, its not like Nappa Leather, but have seen real leather in other cars which felt less real, its only really when you pinch you can feel the difference. One of my colleagues has been driving an E220CDI with Artico for nearly a year and only found out it wasnt leather a little while ago...

Mine's Tenorite Grey - looks great with the bright trim on the Elegance - and I have the grey Artico interior. After having three cars on the trot with black interiors I fancied something different and the grey certainly lightens the cabin. The Artico is fine, but like leather you need the heated seats!

Leather smells nice, artico is no doubt good, but leather surely must add an ambience that artico can't.

Artico owners always praise it mind you and say how "leather like" it is. How many owners with leather say how "artico" like their nappa is. Go for real leather if you can.

If the OP is looking @ C220cdi's, would a mildly used 2008 211 not be an option too. Classier inside than a 204, more spacious but not as dynamic. They are such good value for money those 211's.

Think OPs choice is company car - if so new is usually the only option and the deals large fleets get makes your eyes water....even MB

Yep company car. Had a W211 before and would love to again, but don't want to pay the tax on it!!! C320CDI with less toys may have been an option, but again killer tax, I could probably do better opting out, but 15 years of company cars makes you lazy! (and following the Alfa experience I need a period of calm!)

Opting out depends on various things
1. Annual mileage
2. Tax rate of individual
3. How much you want peace of mind
4. Job security - you dont want to find yourself out of a job and stuck with payments (although I think these can be insured)....but adds to the cost.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom