Considering selling my 507 and getting a C63s.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Same colour looing at your avatar 😀 I also looked at the e63 (5.5) but decided against it

Same colour looing at your avatar 😀 I also looked at the e63 (5.5) but decided against it
Brilliant Blue here too ;)

4-A8-B19-C9-54-E9-4-E5-A-AC4-D-21-A67-C5961-E4.jpg

My first one was grey with night pack. Looked stealthy, but prefer the blue

That's nice same wheel's too im glad you posted the pic I was thinking what it would look like with the Panamanian grill😀

I read Mercedes quoting 100ms shift time for both 7G and 9G with speedshift MCT wet clutch
Which is no quicker than the 204 in S+ or M. However, in Manual the total shift time includes the time between pulling the paddle and the shift actually happening. On the 204 it's glacial, 205 7spd much better and 9spd better again. Granted not a huge amount in it but I think it's worth it if I was seeking to buy a 205, not so much if you already have one.

That's nice same wheel's too im glad you posted the pic I was thinking what it would look like with the Panamanian grill😀
I also have the panamericana grille, albeit on a grey coupe, I much prefer the look of it but know it‘s down to personal preference and not for everyone.

I'm not sure how to swop with having the Distronic radar and 360 cam

Attachments

• 20220109_192445.jpg
    20220109_192445.jpg
    1,010.7 KB · Views: 7
I'm not sure how to swop with having the Distronic radar and 360 cam
I have both 360 and the distronic and swapped my grill for Panamericana. If you buy from Bentley Grills it’s a quality product which comes with all the correct apertures and cut outs for the camera etc. No problem fitting yourself. My photos are on here somewhere - there is a thread on it.

So the 9G has a lower first gear (which it just doesn't need) and one higher "cruise" ratio at the top.
I'd have to agree with you, I wouldn't seek it out ! :)
According to the review in EVO:

"The nine-speed is quicker, smoother and more refined than the old seven-speed"

I've only had the 9 speed in lesser powered cars and found it to be very indecisive it never new what gear it should be in if I had purchased the cars I've driven I would of returned them

Thank you @Engadine that is exactly my point.

I've tried both and the improvement is noticeable, although I understand why someone would be happy enough with the 205 7spd.

9 minutes in...
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

There’s also a well known AMG fanboy YouTuber who reverted back to the pre-facelift due the the better sound and feeling.

Horses for corses, but having driven both, you’re really not missing much by going for the 7spd. Journos are probably the last place to go for some real world advice.

Something that’s more efficient doesn’t mean it’s better to drive, unless you’re a big EV fan.

Last edited:
@sgregory124 I couldn't care less about how quick it is to 60mph. It's frustrating when a gearbox doesn't do what it's told when it's told though.

@sgregory124 I couldn't care less about how quick it is to 60mph. It's frustrating when a gearbox doesn't do what it's told when it's told though.
But it does change when its told to? Mine is very quick for a full auto and more than capable for fast road driving. I really don't think a shift change reduction of a few milliseconds is going to be noticeable.

I had one of the very last 507s (I think it was one of the last 10 cars registered) and absoutely loved it. White coupe, with a few options - it looked stunning and was generally great fun (except when it had no traction, which was frequent).

An opporunity came up on a new C63S and after a lot of consideration, I did the swap. As much as I totally agree that the 6.2 is one of the truely great engines, it didn't take more than a few miles for me to completely forget about it. The 4.0TT is a thing of wonder. The extra torque (in S trim) is noticable and the engine is much smoother. With the active exhaust open it makes an equally raucus sound, but when closed, it takes things down about 10% and it becomes a little less thugish.

One of the biggest areas of improvement is in the 9sp gearbox. The 7sp in the 507 was frankly archaic. It didn't respond fast enough to the paddles and the shift quality wasn't a patch on the 9sp. The boxes are chalk & cheese. The new 9sp is specifically callibrated for the C63S and I can't think of a way it could be improved, it's stunning. In Comfort, it still changes very fast, but with almost impreceptibly, such is the quality they've engineered into it with the software. If you've tried this box in any lesser model, it's not remotely the same, as they software is different. My wife has the 9sp in her (same aged) C300 and you'd swear it was a completely different box, from a differrent manufacturer, such is the difference.

The interior of the facelift 205 with the digital dash is simple wondersome. It's leagues ahead of the 507 in absolutely every respect. The seats are some of the best I've ever sat in. It's a place you can spend many hours without issue. As for the infotainment..... well, that's like comparing a Casio calculator to a new Macbook.

The 205 is a far better car on the road. The electronics are much more sophisticated and advanced, for the better. In the 507, if I got greedy and lit up the rears, the elctronics stepped in and killed the power, it was downright dangerous when that happend at a junction. The 205 has this improved on ten-fold. The TCS steps in gently and keeps absolutely as much power going to the ground as is possible - sometimes the orange light will flash and you hardly feel it's intervention. Mag dampers are stunning through the modes and generally it can be brutalised down a B-road with obscene pace.

I adored my 507, but it's a car of an age. It's an icon, with one of the best engines ever produced, no doubt. However, time and engineering have moved on and the 2019 onward C63S is a better car in every measurable way (except fuel consumption, that's still sh**). In truth, it's actually not fair to compare the two. One is a car on a 10yr older platform, with electronics to match, the other is a significantly more advanced, modern tech-fest. Certainly people will prefer the 204 for entirely unscientific reasons, but if you're the sort of person who likes the latest advancements in tech and upgrades your phone every year, I'd eager the 205 will flick your switch. I'd have loved to have kept the 507 alongside the S, but if I had, I doubt it would have been driven much and that says it all. I made the right choice for me and wouldn't dream of dropping my S for the earler car.

I had one of the very last 507s (I think it was one of the last 10 cars registered) and absoutely loved it. White coupe, with a few options - it looked stunning and was generally great fun (except when it had no traction, which was frequent).

An opporunity came up on a new C63S and after a lot of consideration, I did the swap. As much as I totally agree that the 6.2 is one of the truely great engines, it didn't take more than a few miles for me to completely forget about it. The 4.0TT is a thing of wonder. The extra torque (in S trim) is noticable and the engine is much smoother. With the active exhaust open it makes an equally raucus sound, but when closed, it takes things down about 10% and it becomes a little less thugish.

One of the biggest areas of improvement is in the 9sp gearbox. The 7sp in the 507 was frankly archaic. It didn't respond fast enough to the paddles and the shift quality wasn't a patch on the 9sp. The boxes are chalk & cheese. The new 9sp is specifically callibrated for the C63S and I can't think of a way it could be improved, it's stunning. In Comfort, it still changes very fast, but with almost impreceptibly, such is the quality they've engineered into it with the software. If you've tried this box in any lesser model, it's not remotely the same, as they software is different. My wife has the 9sp in her (same aged) C300 and you'd swear it was a completely different box, from a differrent manufacturer, such is the difference.

The interior of the facelift 205 with the digital dash is simple wondersome. It's leagues ahead of the 507 in absolutely every respect. The seats are some of the best I've ever sat in. It's a place you can spend many hours without issue. As for the infotainment..... well, that's like comparing a Casio calculator to a new Macbook.

The 205 is a far better car on the road. The electronics are much more sophisticated and advanced, for the better. In the 507, if I got greedy and lit up the rears, the elctronics stepped in and killed the power, it was downright dangerous when that happend at a junction. The 205 has this improved on ten-fold. The TCS steps in gently and keeps absolutely as much power going to the ground as is possible - sometimes the orange light will flash and you hardly feel it's intervention. Mag dampers are stunning through the modes and generally it can be brutalised down a B-road with obscene pace.

I adored my 507, but it's a car of an age. It's an icon, with one of the best engines ever produced, no doubt. However, time and engineering have moved on and the 2019 onward C63S is a better car in every measurable way (except fuel consumption, that's still sh**). In truth, it's actually not fair to compare the two. One is a car on a 10yr older platform, with electronics to match, the other is a significantly more advanced, modern tech-fest. Certainly people will prefer the 204 for entirely unscientific reasons, but if you're the sort of person who likes the latest advancements in tech and upgrades your phone every year, I'd eager the 205 will flick your switch. I'd have loved to have kept the 507 alongside the S, but if I had, I doubt it would have been driven much and that says it all. I made the right choice for me and wouldn't dream of dropping my S for the earler car.
Great post and I agree with most of what you say. I think you hit the nail on the head when you say people will prefer the 204 for unscientific reasons.

This thread definitely strikes a chord with me as I've been thinking about changing my facelift S204 PPP wagon (Celtic tuning remap and secondary decat) for a while now... I've had the 204 wagon for a couple of years having previously had the coupe but I switched to the wagon when my daughter was born, so I've been driving a 204 C63 in some form for 5 years now.

The estate is our only car and has to do everything from the nursery run and M25 trudges, to blasting around the roads of North Wales when I rarely manage to get away by myself.

My wife would prefer something a bit more modern, comfortable, and refined, and I'll admit I've been itching for a reason to change after 5 years. With that in mind, I've driven a S205 C63 S on numerous occasions with the full intention of making the switch... But on each occasion I've come away not really convinced it's the right car for me.
Don't get me wrong, it's a great car and is a 'better' car than the 204 in most respects. But it just doesn't give me the same visceral thrill that I get from the S204... There's just something about the steering and engine that really gets under my skin, maybe it's the slightly mechanical and old school feel of the car, I can't put my finger on it. I've become charmed by it's soulful character.

I don't doubt the pace and handling of the 205, but to my ears the engine/exhaust (with performance exhaust) sounds quite hollow and too 'exhausty' ... And dare I say it, a bit fake? At least to my ears. By comparison, the M156 sounds like a nascar and you can feel it thunder through the car.

I think another big part of the reason for not making the change is that the facelift 204 is still just modern enough for me - I've got cruise control, blind spot and lane assist, I can stream music over Bluetooth, adaptive headlights. Personally I don't really need much more. I've had fancy screens and tech in other cars and after a while I don't even notice them.

If I could afford two cars, I'd definitely have an S205 C63S as my family car and a dedicated 2 seat sports car. But as a one car family that has to do it all, the S204 wins for me. If I was to upgrade and stick with the one car formula, I'd be looking at the 213 E63S wagon. I've had the pleasure of driving that on a few occasions and it's an absolute weapon, and strangely I found it more exciting and engaging than the 205 C63S. Perhaps in a few years when prices are lower....

Yeah but …. Chris Harris from 2013 disagrees so you must be wrong.

I much prefer the analogue nature of the 204. Personal preference but I just cannot stand digital displays…
Did your car have the factory fitted LSD?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom