Constant 'Java Updates'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wilsonuk

Car
ML320 cdi / AM Vantage / Jaguar XJ / formerly SL350 and E320cdi
It seems almost every time I turn my laptop on, the poxy 'Java' software wants me to download another update and restart!! :wallbash:

Properly getting on my man boobs now - can I stop this somehow, am I doing something wrong!!??

I'm on XP so cannot answer for later versions. In Control Panel open Java and deselect Automatic Updates or open 'Advanced' and change settings.

Last edited:
Java updates don't happen all that often.

My bet is that the same install is failing to complete properly, so it tries again every time you switch on.

Can you confirm whether the same version is being installed, or a different one every time?

I've seen this a lot. It almost gives you the impression it has installed when it hasn't (around V6.26 +/- seems to be the worst for this - once Oracle took over, it improved).

I would consider removing it and going to www.java.com and installing again to save investigating what the issue is - this will resolve it and future updates should come through. Or just turn the update mechanism off as said.

Also as said, the updates aren't that often.

Click start>control-panel. Select java. Go through options in advanced tab and turn off auto update.
:)

Thanks guys, have changed settings, hopefully it will stop hassling me now!

Java can be used as an attack vector for malware, hence the constant security updates.

In the end, I just uninstalled it, and found one application that failed afterwards, which I could do without anyway. Just a thought.

It's really more complicated websites that use it (for example, if you 'build' a car online using the manufacturer's website)...

It is a pain in the aris though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom