Contact the police or not?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I rang 101 last year to report someone trying car door handles. They answered the phone after literally 20 minutes. But to be fair, they did follow it up and rang me back to say they'd caught up with the guy and spoken to him (although whether that was actually true or not is anyones guess). The police actually rang me back at 11:30pm to tell me that, which I thought was a bit odd but I was awake anyway so didn't bother me. I appreciate they are busy and understaffed so I was quite happy (and a bit surprised) with the result. Best 15p I've ever spent.

This reminds me if a story I once heard about a Mayor of a small town.

On the occasion that he was awaken by a phone call at home late at night from a citizen complaining about this and that, he'd put the kettle on, have a cuppa and listen to music. At around 3am, he'd phone back to 'update' the caller and say that he spoke to his people and they will look into it........ :D

I rang 101 last year to report someone trying car door handles. They answered the phone after literally 20 minutes. But to be fair, they did follow it up and rang me back to say they'd caught up with the guy and spoken to him (although whether that was actually true or not is anyones guess). The police actually rang me back at 11:30pm to tell me that, which I thought was a bit odd but I was awake anyway so didn't bother me. I appreciate they are busy and understaffed so I was quite happy (and a bit surprised) with the result. Best 15p I've ever spent.
They perhaps thought that if it was concerning enough for you to report it, then it was important enough to let you know the outcome even late invitee evening.

They perhaps thought that if it was concerning enough for you to report it, then it was important enough to let you know the outcome even late invitee evening.
Yes, that - plus also the PC handling an issue will want to close it out on that shift before they clock off. Next shift there will be new priorities and they may otherwise never get back to you. Handing minor cases from one shift to another never seems to work well and items get dropped. This is just my experience from reporting other minor issues.

This reminds me if a story I once heard about a Mayor of a small town.

On the occasion that he was awaken by a phone call at home late at night from a citizen complaining about this and that, he'd put the kettle on, have a cuppa and listen to music. At around 3am, he'd phone back to 'update' the caller and say that he spoke to his people and they will look into it........ :D

In my case, I would probably give the police the benefit of the doubt that they did indeed follow it up like they said they did. The only reason I called it in was because it was because I had it on CCTV so was able to give them a pretty spot on description and offer it as evidence if needed. I don't like to be judgmental, but the guy looked like the sort of junkie that would probably be known to the police, so it wouldn't surprise me if they were able to find him roaming the streets later on.

I'm aware that simply trying door handles probably isn't a crime in itself, but the police always say to report suspicious behaviour to them, so I did!

Your story of a small town Mayor reminded me of this:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

In my case, I would probably give the police the benefit of the doubt that they did indeed follow it up like they said they did. The only reason I called it in was because it was because I had it on CCTV so was able to give them a pretty spot on description and offer it as evidence if needed. I don't like to be judgmental, but the guy looked like the sort of junkie that would probably be known to the police, so it wouldn't surprise me if they were able to find him roaming the streets later on.

I'm aware that simply trying door handles probably isn't a crime in itself, but the police always say to report suspicious behaviour to them, so I did!

Your story of a small town Mayor reminded me of this:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
That’s the policy I’ll follow from now on if it’s suspicious then report it. If we don’t then they have more chance of getting away with it!

On a side note major respect for quoting on of the best ever episodes of the simpsons 😂 that’s not a knife it’s a spoon...

An untaxed vehicle is a DVLA issue, not a police issue.

I would not expect the police to attend these vehicles unless their checks showed they were "of interest", e.g. reported stolen or known to have been used in crime.

I would hope the relevant force submitted an intelligence report concerning the vehicles but tax issue aside, they could have been there for a legitimate and innocent reason.
There is nuance to everything;
Having an untaxed car can mean having no insurance and that is against the law.

Definitely report

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom