Contactless car wash

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andyjay123

My local Esso has a contactless car wash. OMG! NO more swirls marks

Just very harsh chemicals??

Here in Vladmir, Russia, all the "moika" (car wash) are contactless. They spray the liquid all over the car and leave it to remove all the dirt and road film. Fifteen or so minutes later they rinse off the white liquid and a nice clean car greets you!

Never had a problem with it and of course, no swirl marks! I assume the ESSO one is the same stuff. Good idea IMO.

Last edited:
Here in Vladmir, Russia, all the "moika" (car wash) are contactless. They spray the liquid all over the car and leave it to remove all the dirt and road film. Fifteen or so minutes later they rinse off the white liquid and a nice clean car greets you!

Never had a problem with it and of course, no swirl marks! I assume the ESSO one is the same stuff. Good idea IMO.

Yup, no swirls makes at long last. It is a 7 mile drive but A. Who cares when you can put your foot down on a dual carriageway all the way there and B. No more swirls!!

How do normal car washes cause swirls? The 'fingers' on the roller things each side and on top are only ever moving in one direction (front to back?) when they touch the car. So linear scratches I could understand, but not swirls?

How do normal car washes cause swirls? The 'fingers' on the roller things each side and on top are only ever moving in one direction (front to back?) when they touch the car. So linear scratches I could understand, but not swirls?

"Swirls" aren't actually swirls, but appear as a swirl because light is usually a point source that illuminates as a dot, which illuminates a circular section of minor scratches that follow the circularness of the light shining on the paint.
In actual fact, they are simply thousands of randomly orientated micro scratches that spoil the paint's finish and gloss.

Swirls were added to my cars' paintwork by the traditional Eastern European "run a rag over the car" style of "hand" car wash. Only serious detailing will improve my black Lexus paintwork now. My Nissan in Russia on the other hand, which has been washed countless times in the "contactless" wash is still perfect!

Which brings me neatly to a question! Has anyone used "Unique Detail" in Toddington, Dunstable? They're close to me but I know nothing about them other than what's on their site.. :)

"Swirls" aren't actually swirls, but appear as a swirl because light is usually a point source that illuminates as a dot, which illuminates a circular section of minor scratches that follow the circularness of the light shining on the paint.
In actual fact, they are simply thousands of randomly orientated micro scratches that spoil the paint's finish and gloss.

But a normal car wash can't produce randomly oriented scratches - they would all run in the same direction :confused: :dk:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom