Contactless credit cards

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I remember watching a chap in airport immigration, trying to use the IRIS scanner. Must have been there for a good 10min posing this way and that, until the guy behind tapped him on the shoulder and motioned him to remove his glasses....... :doh:

Were the iris recognition systems at Heathrow not dumped a while back?

Too troublesome.

Not sure but Nationwide Building Society ran a live trial via their ATMs at least 10 years ago and it went nowhere.

How about a small ***** to collect some DNA?

Were the iris recognition systems at Heathrow not dumped a while back?

Too troublesome.
Yes, it was hopelessly unreliable (so I'm told).

Fingerprints degrade over time, and aren't developed in the very young.

So - you end up in a situation where you discriminate against the elderly and disabled. Both of these groups would struggle with fingerprint recognition.

Can you imagine the headlines?

Secondly fingerprint readers are (very) easy to fool. Gummi Bears work well...

Iris has it's issues, the primary one being that having anything near your eyes is scary, foreign and intrusive...

Then there is the cost aspect. Chip & Pin got implemented only when the cost of deploying new readers exceeded the cost of the insurance to cover all the fraud that was happening. No point in paying more than you need to..

As with all biometric technology, you need to balance the false positives and the false negatives and reach a position where you don't block too many real users and don't enable too many fraudsters.

M.

Funnily enough, that really is one of the reasons it's not been done.

I know, that's why I quoted it.

I'm not fully convinced that it remains as a significant risk though. The return for the thief is poor when compared to the risk of punishment for, what has now become, a serious crime. This is another reason why bank (and other comparable business) robberies have decreased, the risk of long term imprisonment is reduced for more white collar crime.

Crooks giving consideration to risk mitigation eh?

Remember when we just had to sign for things? Every sig is unique. Nice and simple. You never forgot which sig for what account either.

I suspect this was making it very difficult for the banks to refute fraud as they never allocated resources to actually checking all those signatures did they.

Asking for PINs and such puts the onus on us every time.

Contactless does make paying for your maccy d's at 2am much easier after a long night out.......

Well, this seems to have degenerated into an argument as usual, and we don't even have DM to blame any more :p.

I originally asked if anyone knew of credit card company that could offer me a chip and PIN card, apart from Palfrem (thanks) no leads on that one.

I've explained that contactless is a facility I neither need nor want; apparently this makes me some sort of luddite or technophobe. Far from the case, I assure you. I am, however, security conscious and believe that risk minimisation is best practise; YMMV.

I've also done quite a bit of work with RF comms, so I don't blindly believe the cards are as secure as the banks make out - proof of concepts that this is so are already out there. These will doubt draw as much (if not more) attention from the crims as it does from the security researchers.

However, this has given me an idea for a little project with the Raspberry Pi I have knocking about, so thanks for that! :D

Cheers,

Gaz

Not much help in your quest Gaz but... I pay cash for everything except for (obviously) online purchases.

I like having contact less cards... quicker grabbing lunch in Tescos & especially if I am in London as it works on public transport instead of using an Oyster card.

Remember when we just had to sign for things? Every sig is unique. Nice and simple. You never forgot which sig for what account either.

I suspect this was making it very difficult for the banks to refute fraud as they never allocated resources to actually checking all those signatures did they.

Asking for PINs and such puts the onus on us every time.

Yes I do remember when we just had to sign for things, as a customer, as a recipient and during my management career. It was less secure, inefficient and outdated.

Signatures change over time and can be very difficult to verify as it is very subjective, I signed up for my current account in 1980 when I was unused to signing my name and after several hundred thousand attempts it has changed beyond recognition.

I have seen people sacked for accepting cheques with forged signatures.

I can see no reason why banks should not update processes and seek improvements to benefit themselves, their customers and shopkeepers/service providers.

I totally love my contactless card and use it at every opportunity. I despise having to carry coins around so it really improves my quality of life.

I always carry a few hundred quid in notes at all times, you never know when you might have to buy your way out of a hostage situation or a sudden cash only deal comes up, but it's card all the way for everything else for me.

I always carry a few hundred quid in notes at all times, you never know when you might have to buy your way out of a hostage situation.
:eek:

You live in Milton Keynes not Kenya!

One never knows what might happen :dk:

:bannana:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom