Contaminated diesel injectors&pump problems?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alf1956

Car
clk270 55 plate diesel
If diesel is contaminated with a cleaning chemical will it ruin the seals in the diesel pump & can it damage the injectors ie do the injectors have seals in them like the pump?

Yes they have seals but do you mean contaminated by a diesel cleaner? or industrial Fairy liquid?
I would guess if the dosage is too high it could damage seals but without knowing what it is difficult to say.

chemical cleaner that goes into a steam cleaner has been put in the tank by some malicious person.

Hi,
The answer would lay in the amount of Industrial Cleaner added to the tank per ratio of diesel, and whether the cleaner mixed with the diesel or just laid on top of it. Which if you knew what it was you could test.
The ratio of cleaner to diesel is going to have to be very strong to do any great damage, such as gallons of the stuff in the tank.
Obviously any harmful contaminant is undesirable and I doubt whether anyone has done any tests on the on the mix you had in your tank to give an accurate answer.
I would think that the amount of diesel you would have had in your tank should have provided sufficient lubricity to stop any permanent damage to the pump.
I would assume you have already cleaned out your tank and purged the fuel lines of any of the contaminated mix. This is about as much as you can do.
If you are really concerned, then put some Millers in the next tankful or perhaps some two stroke oil .
You obviously have some nice friends !

Steve

+1 on purge what you can and run with millers Diesel power plus--Opie oils are doing a special on it this weekend

I have used a 12v pump in the tank but because it is saddle tank I have only got the fuel from one side as I am reticent to take the pipe off on the other side that are for the feed & return as the clips on the pipes look very brittle & it look very awkward so I thought I would try to use an airline to blow all the fuel through thus hopefully emptying the tank & then running some clean diesel through it before I start it & maybe fill the fuel filter with clean diesel, I was wondering if any of the fuel lines had non return valves in them as I don't want to create another problem!

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

OK.... I had written a big screed of what to, and what not to do, and now these photos are more explanatory. There are no drain bungs on this tank that you can use , and I wonder what the AA / RAC do to drain the tank if you stick petrol in the tank?
One thing just sprang to mind, how accessible is the fuel sender unit, as with that out, draining the tank is easy.

So.... having seen the fuel pipes inside the tank I would suggest you stay away from using an airline otherwise you might well damage these pipes. or blow them off inside the tank, then it is a tank out job, which I dare say you are trying to avoid. Just try to drain from the feed pipe perhaps at the connection with the high pressure pump at the front of the engine, using your 12 volt pump.
Below is the ad where I obtained the pics, the sender unit is another ad that is expired, but at least you know what you are dealing with.

/www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MERCEDES-W209-CLK-270-CDI-AUTO-2003-FUEL-TANK-2030703050-A2034703001-A2034701520/272887359085?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D49131%26meid%3Decbde85f5237456b9df2ebdc542582c9%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D173200980021%26itm%3D272887359085&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

Steve

If this is a chemical that mixes with water, then it is 'polar', molecularly, so it won't mix with derv.
That is good news.
Density of the chem. is the clue here; is it heavier or lighter than derv? Which has a S.G. of around ...... errr 0.8 ? (look it up, to confirm)

The answer will determine whether the rogue chemical addition lies at the top or the bottom of the fuel tank.
Then you can extract it, plus a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom