Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MOCAŠ

MB Enthusiast
Car
SLK
Following on from the fare evader story, another story regarding a 19-year-old student that was in the news this week for your consideration.

A trial in Manchester was halted at the summing-up stage after a juror (the student) who'd been sitting all week called in sick, saying that he'd been up all night vomitting and was too ill to attend. When a court official later phoned to ask whether he might be well enough to attend over the weekend, his boyfriend took the call and unwittingly revealed that the juror had gone to London with his mother to see a musical. Whoops.

Police were sent to take a statement from the boyfriend, yet the juror later contacted the court and repeated the original lie, saying that he was recuperating at his mother's house. To put the tin hat on it, the show ticket had originally been a gift from the boyfriend and they were due to go together, but the boyfriend wasn't able to get time off work...

Naturally, when the judge became aware of the juror's actions, the latter was charged with contempt of court and handed a 14-day jail sentence, owing to the frivolous reason for his absence and the lies he had repeatedly told about it. As it happens, the juror has now been released after five days, so that he can spend Christmas with his family.

He seems to have learnt his lesson, and accepts that what he he did was wrong and that he should have been punished. So far, so good.

However, he does not believe that he should have been handed a custodial sentence. His mother is not taking things lying down. Having originally advised him not to even undertake the jury service (as though it were a matter of choice), she then felt that the judge should be happy with just an apology for her son's deceit. Now she's trying to find out from a solicitor what she can do to get his conviction overturned, claiming that her son has been made an example of and that he's too naive and sensitive to have been given a jail sentence - which she has described as 'ludicrous'. The boyfriend also thinks it's 'a disgrace' that his partner now has a criminal record.

I find this unbelievable - surely contempt of court is a very serious matter, not just because of the cost to public purse when a trial has to be halted, but also due to the fact that it is tantamount to perverting the course of justice and potentially causes distress to those involved in the trial. What sort of example is this mother setting by claiming he should have been let off with 'a slap on the wrist'?

Juror's mum: British justice stinks - my son thought he'd get slap on the wrist | Manchester Evening News - menmedia.co.uk

Personally speaking, I find it worrying that the system picked someone so young for jury service.

Jury service is something that should be taken with extreme responsibility, the decisions they're taking have a huge effect on the people on both sides of the case (both victim and suspect).

It's important (at least to me) that the decision is made with a certain level of maturity, experience, and compassion. With many apologies to any younger members here, it's my feeling that those attributes come with age (i.e. people who have lived in the "outside world" for a number of years).

Personally he got off very lightly in my opinion. Sentenced to 15 days and only doing 5 is an insult if you ask me, and the fact his family think they need to fight it is a bigger insult.

Yes, he was made an example, and so he should have. Let this be a warning to anyone who considers sherking their civic duty.

Personally speaking, I find it worrying that the system picked someone so young for jury service.

Jury service is something that should be taken with extreme responsibility, the decisions they're taking have a huge effect on the people on both sides of the case (both victim and suspect).

It's important (at least to me) that the decision is made with a certain level of maturity, experience, and compassion. With many apologies to any younger members here, it's my feeling that those attributes come with age (i.e. people who have lived in the "outside world" for a number of years).

I see what you're saying, but isn't there supposed to be a mix of age, race and experiences on a jury.

Imagine a jury full of 50+ aged people and the person on trial is a Burberry wearing 18 year old - 'Guilty ya 'onor!'

I'm amazed that your amazed Mocas.

This is the very same attitude shown by the 'student' on the train, albeit in a different form.

I've interviewed a few 18-23 year olds over the past week for a vacancy in my business and their attitude was frankly laughable. One of them turned up 5 minutes late so I told him I'm not even going to give him interview and I'll see him around. Two minutes later his mother comes storming in, telling me that I can't treat people that that!!! I told her to go and change her boys backside because I could smell the sh1t from in here.

Something tells me that Mocas lives in a cotton wool world. Sorry, Mocas, but the reality is that modern Youths try to break every rule going...but it's never their fault, they don't know what the word accountability means.

The little scrote should have got a full month in prison...

Its a civic duty that you just have to do if you're picked.

The little scrote should have got a full month in prison...

Don't forget a good kicking as well...to be at one with the train ticket dodger...

Maybe if he'd been left "inside" over Christmas, one of the other cons could have given him "soap on a rope" as a Chrimbo present...

I've never been called up for Jury service as I've been in the RAF most of my working life, thus exempt.

I've been out in 'civvie street' since 2002 and to be honest I relish the chance to contribute.

Don't forget a good kicking as well...to be at one with the train ticket dodger...

Maybe if he'd been left "inside" over Christmas, one of the other cons could have given him "soap on a rope" as a Chrimbo present...

They give you that and more in Belmarsh....:D:D:D

Judging by his existing relationship circumstances a Pope on a Rope may have been right up his street.

I've never been called up for Jury service as I've been in the RAF most of my working life, thus exempt.

I've been out in 'civvie street' since 2002 and to be honest I relish the chance to contribute.

I wonder what a jury of 12 ex HMF guys and girls would make of some of the cases.

He did give his Mummy a nice big hug when he got out of jail.

I saw that ahhh! I bet she made him a nice cup of hot chocolate when they got home and then tucked him up in bed.

He stated that there was a lot of banging on his door from the 'cons' and that he was scared. Ahh bless him! :wallbash:

Father in law just finished two weeks of jury service yesterday. He retired a couple of years ago and was relishing the chance to put some scrotes/miscreants/unaccountable teenagers behind bars.

He get two child sex abuse cases. That's really bad luck.

I saw that ahhh! I bet she made him a nice cup of hot chocolate when they got home and then tucked him up in bed.

He stated that there was a lot of banging on his door from the 'cons' and that he was scared. Ahh bless him! :wallbash:

He'll think twice about skipping jury duty next time.

Result!!!

I wonder what a jury of 12 ex HMF guys and girls would make of some of the cases.

I don't think a lot of them would be able to handle it and would probably react incorrectly. They go through so much and see things these little scroats only dream of doing in computer games.

I'm amazed that your amazed Mocas.

This is the very same attitude shown by the 'student' on the train, albeit in a different form.

I've interviewed a few 18-23 year olds over the past week for a vacancy in my business and their attitude was frankly laughable. One of them turned up 5 minutes late so I told him I'm not even going to give him interview and I'll see him around. Two minutes later his mother comes storming in, telling me that I can't treat people that that!!! I told her to go and change her boys backside because I could smell the sh1t from in here.

dont get me started on this topic!!! Im only 24 but some of the things i hear from my staff who are generally under 21 are just ridiculous... I remember one girl who rang up sick because she went out the night before and didnt get enough sleep , she already had a final written warning for non attendance, when I told her if she didnt come in she would get the sack she hung up, 5 mins later I get a phone call from her mum telling me I cant treat her like that, she is only 21 and you are only young once?!?!?!!?!

Hired a girl the other day, she didnt turn up last saturday (my busiest day), turned up the next day with no explenation as to why she didnt come in, told her she wouldnt get another chance...she then turned up 15mins late during the week, when I asked her why she said whats your problem, its only 15 mins... She left through the back door as quick as she came in!

There are plenty of other young people who are the total opposite though!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom