Conti Eco Contact 5 any good?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

reflexboy

MB Enthusiast
Car
E350 CDi Sport&SLK250CDi AMG Sport
My partner's Mini Clubman's tyres need replacing soon and the cheapest quality branded tyres I can find are Continental Eco Contact 5's. Are these tyres any good? Mainly town driving so we want a tyre that won't wear too quickly or be too noisy. Surprisingly they are in a similar price bracket to Kumho Ecsta tyres and Falken ZE914.
What's the panel's verdict?

I've read quite a few posts on both forums about tyres recently and Continental do seem to be one of the least liked mainstream tyres due to noise and cracking sidewalls.

I can recommend Falken ZE914's as I have done just over 10k miles on my rear tyres and there is still plenty of tread remaining. They aren't noisy either.
Kumho's are being fitted by MB on the production line on certain models.

I've read quite a few posts on both forums about tyres recently and Continental do seem to be one of the least liked mainstream tyres due to noise and cracking sidewalls.

I can recommend Falken ZE914's as I have done just over 10k miles on my rear tyres and there is still plenty of tread remaining. They aren't noisy either.
Kumho's are being fitted by MB on the production line on certain models.

Thanks for your reply. I have Kumhos on my E Class and having done 6K miles on them they seem ok. I just presumed the Continentals would be a better tyre that the Falkens as I see Falkens and Kumhos as a midrange tyre and Contis as a premium brand. Maybe I am wrong.

I just presumed the Continentals would be a better tyre that the Falkens as I see Falkens and Kumhos as a midrange tyre and Contis as a premium brand. Maybe I am wrong.

No you are right. Continentals are a premium brand, but one that has quite a few detractors.

I love them personally, had them on my Clio 172 and they gripped incredibly well. That said, that was a good 11 years ago so they may well be completely different tyres now.

If you want a good midrange tyre, not premium but not cheap either I can recommend BF Goodrich, a Michelin brand. I had them for about 20k on my Focus and they gripped and wore well.

Think I will elbow the Contis due to the above. It's a toss up between the Falkens and the Kumhos now......I'm leaning towards the Kumhos.

I had continental contact 5 on my juke had to replace fronts at 8000 mile mostly town driving and they were a bit noisy

I'd agree with the previous posts good mileage not cheap but good value for money but the noise is a factor much loader than Michelin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom