Continental 5 v 5p

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

A25

Car
C class
Does anyone know what the difference between continental sport contact 5 and 5p is?

I need to replace a front and 2 rear on the c class and dont know which is better or what the difference is. Both OM tyres.

Thanks markjay.
I have also contacted continental direct and now have the following clarification.

The ContiSport Contact 5P is one of our highest performance tyres and is designed for maximum handling and performance, compared to the ContiSport Contact 5 which is a sports orientated tyre but will have other parameters considered such as comfort and rolling resistance etc.

Based on this reply looks like 5p is more sporty and better grip but looses out on milage and fuel economy to the standard 5.

5p it is.

Contisport 5P for "ragging" AMG's and M3 / M5's

I asked the question about the 5P's for a Birds tweaked 335i (LSD / Bilsteins) I used to have.

Was firmly told that the 5P was strictly aimed at those who like to "rag" their AMG's, M3's and m5's, and that the "normal" Contisport 5 would be ideal for normal 335i driving. Even for the normal M3 / C63 driver, the Contisport 5 would be fine.

That might confuse the decision, but better to have lots of opinions early, rather than buy a set of tyres and be stuck with the "wrong" ones for a couple of years.

I agree with you Mike.

That's my worry. Once I have purchased the tyres then I have to stick with the wrong tyre for a few years.

I currently have the standard Continental sport contact 5 on the front and rear of the car. If I start to push on the road I am constantly on edge as the back of the car is wanting to step out.

It's embarrassing that I can't keep up with my wife in her 206XSI around tight bendy roads. The 206 has so much more grip. If I do push to keep up, as soon as I push the accelerator more than a 1/4 than the level from what I am on any bend or before the car is dead straight, the Merc goes sideways. It's fun when I expect it and when I have a lot of space to allow the slide but not as much fun on narrow roads or with other cars around.

The front doesn't understeer at all no matter how hard it's push, the back is another story. I suspect 5p softer compound rear is needed as the standard 5 may be too hard for the light weight of the rear of the car.

We had a loan car the same as ours C Coupe 2012 but in 250 diesel for a few days last year and that was really planted and inspired confidence. I was amazed, I could go around a bend fast and not have to worry about the back coming out. It felt a heavier car all round.

Our C180 feels a lot lighter and at the same speed as the 250 diesel the front will follow the bend with no understeer but the back can't keep up and really washes out even if the throttle level is keeped the same all the way through the bend. (can only describe it as the front being on rails and the back not). (However @ 25C+ air temperature then the back grips no issues.)

I am hoping the softer 5p (Treadwear 240 on 5p v 280 on 5) at the rear will help the issue I am experiencing. Worst case I guess I can update everyone on here of my experience so it helps others that have the same issue with the rear of the car. Lol

Front will have to be standard 5 as they don't make the 5p in 225/40/18 only the 255/35/18. But front grip is amazing just the back that struggle.

Not sure if this is a problem just to my car. Anyone have this problem?

I am hoping the 5P softer rear tyre will help as I want to stick with continentals (Chilly technology for braking performance etc).

The new version 6 look good but are not available in the size I need :-(

Last edited:
Oh, I just noticed..a C180 coupe !! is this the one with 154bhp and just 184lb/f tourque ?

Just how the hell is it going sideways everywhere ?

How many miles on the clock ?

2012 year with 28000 miles auto.
Lots of turbo lag on engine under 3000rpm have to give it more gas, wait a bit and then after a few seconds the power comes in as a kick from the turbo. Not linear at all. Thats when the back kicks out if going around a bend of pulling away in damp surfaces. Will get the geometry of fhe suspension checked as i wonder if that could be a factor on the handling. Its embarrassing.. Lol. Drove E55 amg at mercedes world around track and that was so well balanced, also had a c class coupe c350 petrol for a day and that had none of these issues.

Will definately get it booked in to mercedes to get geometry and suspension checked. . To be fair, suspension issues had not even crossed my mind and could make sense why all other cars i tried had good balance and not mine even when they had more power.

Doohhh learn something everyday. Thanks for the tip guys, may have come up with cause of the problem.

Last edited:
My C55 AMG has the same size tyres and wheels (Avon ZZ5's all round) and no way does the back end step out at the drop of a hat. Obviously it can be made to do so considering the power and torque available compared to your car.

So I would suggest stop worrying about particular tyre compounds and get the back wheels off the ground and get under there with a breaker/jemmy bar and check all of the bushings and elastomers for wear. Get the whole alignment/geometry checked.

Something is not right.

Good luck.

Does the C180 have traction control? Unless I turn the ESP off there's no way the back of the CLK will step out (although I suppose if you really tried it could).

Even with ESP off I think I'd really need to be stomping on the go pedal, but it will break traction.

The power delivery doesn't sound right to me; if you had a huge turbo that took forever to spin-up I'd expect lots of lag and an almost unmanageable lump of power, but I thought it was quite neatly matched from the factory so that it was quite linear. - Has someone set it up like a drift car with a bigger turbo and stiff rear end?

To me it sounds like you're describing a Nissan Silivia with a disco potato in it.

I have a recollection that the 5P was a bit of a marketing exercise and that Conti just branded all of the tyres over a certain size as 5P.

Ok. Finally got the chance to take the car in and after not finding any broken bits the following has fixed the issue. 5p tyres which are a slightly softer compound fitted to the rear, all round tracking adjustments done and engine, gearbox software reflushed.
What a difference, turbo lag is less with smoother power delivery. I can push the car and not have to worry about the rear snapping like before.

Expensive fix but its now a totally different car to drive. Skint for money but at least i am now happy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom