Continental V Avon

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

After Shock

Car
E320 CDI 320 Estate. AMG wheels
Anyone who has seen my woes over uneven tyre wear will have picked up I now need 4 new tyres! Not a happy bunny!

(may have solved this with a purchase of a fellow MBClub member)

Anyway.

I have been quoted:

REAR

CONTINENTAL 265/35 X 18 - £175.66
AVON 265/35 X 18 - £146.13

FRONT

CONTINENTAL 235/40 X 18 - £140.82
AVON 235/40 X 18 - £118.56

I like both brands from previous use and would happily buy the AVON's?

Over to you..................???

Conti every time.

After Continental put me through the mill over a full set of 4 faulty tyres I'd never buy them again.
I got a money refund after about 3 months - but you'd think they'd have moved heaven & earth to make me happy after their own failure to recall......I should have reported through DVLA but didn't. I trusted Continental to sort me out......but what a struggle.

Anyone who has seen my woes over uneven tyre wear will have picked up I now need 4 new tyres! Not a happy bunny!

(may have solved this with a purchase of a fellow MBClub member)

I like both brands from previous use and would happily buy the AVON's?

Over to you..................???

So, why are you asking us?

How much did the purchase of a fellow forum member cost?

I would go for Uniroyal, Falken or Hankook over Avons personally.

I'v used Vredesteins for the last 3-4yrs and Uniroyal and Yokohama before that.

Now that I'v got Goodyear RFT's I'll have a look at my choices when the time comes to replace.

Dieselman said:
So, why are you asking us? How much did the purchase of a fellow forum member cost?

It hasn't gone through yet. Double checking sizes.

No body is explaining why!

One bad experience which can happen. Sadly it was a battle to sort.

But what about. Wear. Road noise. Grip. Why do you have a preference? If you do?

Surely there can't be that much difference between these two that ETB have available.

The Toyo's I have on have been great.

I ran Pirelli P1's on my 911 because they were the recommended tyre. But I didn't study it in detail now I'm just questioning the reasoning.

Good marketing?
Price?
Experience?
Handling?

ETB in Worcester beat my best online price recently. Just took a phone call.

Bridgestone would be my preference.

Good in the dry, very good in the wet, reasonable life.

Not the quietest tyres in the world, but worth it, IMHO, for the performance.

Goodyear Asymmetric 2 at the moment, my previous set were Falkens (from previous owner).

Good dry and wet grip, less road noise and I paid £650 all in for 19s.

Last edited:
No body is explaining why!

In my experience tyre choice is very subjective. Few find the limits on public roads, even in high performance cars. Nobody does back to back tests with different tyre brands on the same car & on the same day.

The only likely aspects of using different tyres that the normal driver may notice is noise, wear & maybe wet grip. And to compound/confuse issues, most if not the vast majority of drivers will feel the benefit (nicer & lighter steering, less noise etc) when they fit new premium tyres, I'd say that goes for 99% drivers. In actual fact it probably similar when even fitting tyres that are considered slightly sub premium.

Then again if one feels more confident & secure with Conti's rather than Avon's, get the Conti's would be my advise.

BTW, my next tyres will be Vredsteins, as I've heard nothing but good reports and even been advised by a chassis engineer to give them a go.

Another point that should be taken into consideration and also subjective when choosing tyres is, reading general feedback on different brands, what needs to be taken into account is the type of car they were fitted to.

The best tyres I ever had (I think) were Goodyear F1's, fitted them to a RWD car, they really seemed brilliant, but wore quickly. Next set I fitted to a FWD car and had nothing but problems i.e. I found it very easy to damage the side walls on the front tyres (golf balls), I suspect the greater front axle weight of the FWD car was the issue. So, imo I'd never fit F1's to a FWD car, 5/10. But 8/10 on a RWD.

Last edited:
Another point is that there's signficant variation between different models of tyre from the same manufacturer.

FWIW I had Avon ZV5s on our FWD Audi A4 estate for eight years (several sets of them, obviously ;)) and they were excellent IMHO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom