Continental vs Goodyear

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

demetrios

Car
R129 500SL
Hi guys

Need two rear tyres - 265/35 r18 for the big SL
Had a look around and went to some tyres that I had on my 350z and loved Goodyear Eagle F1
The ones I saw were the eagle F1 asymmetric 3,coming in at £126 vs 160 for continentals.
Currently have Conti Contact sport 3 all round but I'm not convinced.

What are your opinions?

Goodyear every time for me. The missus has them on her Focus and they grip so well in the wet.

Ok so I've used both now in the same size. The Conti 3 wears well, I got nearly 20k out of them but they are noisy and now an old tech tyre.

The Goodyear 3s are a bit softer so actually ride smoother. They have tremendous grip especially in the wet and are very very quiet but, I got 14k out of them.

I would buy the Goodyears every time.

Last edited:
Yes, same here: I went from 215/40 18 Contis to 225/40 18 Goodyear, and the grip is much better, they are a lot quieter, and the ride is more comfy and planted (though that might be also due to the fact they are 10mm wider).

Tried
Goodyear are.awesome,brilliant in the wet

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

I imagine you would be buying ContiSportContact 5 these days?

On a related note... I used Dunlop Sport BluResponse on two of my cars (and Dunlop Sport FastResponse before that), and they are - as their name suggests - very responsive. I would even call it 'nervous'. Obviously not great if you happen to sneeze while doing 200 Kmh on a German Autobahn :D , but invaluable in busy city driving when you need to swerve sharply to avoid cyclists :thumb: .

Goodyear gets my vote in that choice.

On a related note... I used Dunlop Sport BluResponse on two of my cars (and Dunlop Sport FastResponse before that), and they are - as their name suggests - very responsive. I would even call it 'nervous'. Obviously not great if you happen to sneeze while doing 200 Kmh on a German Autobahn :D , but invaluable in busy city driving when you need to swerve sharply to avoid cyclists :thumb: .

Have never tried Dunlop tyres. I want something slightly quieter than the Conti and better handling in wet weather. Goodyear on my z we're superb.

I ran GYA2F1s on my previous E55K which was running 600BHP.

Absolutely no problems getting the power down although like any car like that, you have to know how to use it.

Grip was immense on handling.

Have never tried Dunlop tyres. I want something slightly quieter than the Conti and better handling in wet weather. Goodyear on my z we're superb.

The Contis are rated as 71db, the Dunlops as 68db.

I recently had a set of Goodyear Vector 4 Seasons fitted and they seem excellent. Ride quality significantly improved over non-all-season Continentals.

Any reason why you haven't considered Michelin PSS's?

Had conti 5's and wasnt hugely impressed...michelin pss is far superior!

Goodyear Eagle F1 fan here. Very high grip levels and confidence inspiring in the wet, they are on the 5 series

Have continentals SC2/SC3 on the SL, they are coming of when I get it back on the road for spring/summer

Timely thread for me this, as I need to replace the two raggedy Contis on the rear of my SL.

However, I have staggered 18 inch Monos and the tyres on the back are 275/35/18 with 245/40/18 on the front. Is there an accepted 'correct' size as I notice the OP is looking at 265/35/18?

Conti 5's are excellent IMO.

Had goodyear f1 assym on a Integra years ago and they were also great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom