Continental vs Goodyear

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just read the ADAC summer tyre test for medium size cars and Pirelli P1 Verde get the top spot with Bridgestone Turanza, Conti5 , Goodyear efficient grip and Esa-Tecar up there as well. The Esa-Tecar Spirit5 HP look like they're worth a punt as they're considerably cheaper.
Of course this doesn't mean they're available or as good in the bigger sizes, The Marshall matrac's I've had on my car have been excellent wear wise and also road noise as well. Grip has always been good as the tyres on the 203 are quite wide for a smallish car.

Any idea what thread the ContiContactSport5P's have when new as have read various reports from 8mm down to 6mm?

Last edited:
Any idea what thread the ContiContactSport5P's have when new as have read various reports from 8mm down to 6mm?
In my experience (limited to two three different size tyres) 7mm, but it's possible that it varies for other size tyres I suppose.

Previous car on Dunlops,(16 inch) never had any problem, now running Hancock (17 inch) perfect.

Another vote for Goodyear. Great value and wear well. Very sure footed even in the wet. Best price I could find was through black circles with local fitting

Quick update people. So while at Costco yesterday I asked for a quote.
265/35 r18 Michelin pilot sport 4 £158 fully fitted
Or
Goodyear eagle F1 asymmetric 3 for £133 fully fitted

They stock Michelin and Goodyear need to be ordered in which take couple days.
So if your a Costco member then give them a try

Have to say I'm loving the Goodyears on my SL63. Needing new fronts soon so may look at PS4S for that or just go all Goodyear. Upside of these engines is it's not long before you get to change the tyres again!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Michelin PS4s fitted all round today. Feel much safer already just looking at them, but time will tell. Just don't look at bank balance :-(

The PS4 and Conti 6 rate very very close on all the high performance tyre tests.

The PS4s just edge it on most tests due to very slightly better feedback on the limit but they are both fantastic tyres.

I have had PS4s on both my 9974S and SL55 and can't fault them.

The only thing you have to watch is the very soft sidewall due to the unique way they are fabricated.

Good Year gets my vote!

Past four years I've had:

Conti SP5 MO rated 7/10
Goodyear F1 asymmetric 2 rated 8/10
Goodyear F1 asymmetric 3 rated 9/10
Dunlop Sport Maxx RT MO rated 9/10

Conti don't last long enough for me. All grip well and I like to throw the car around. I rate the Dunlop very high and better than the conti because of the low noise. Just feel more confident with the Dunlop. My best tyre is the asymmetric 3 super soft grips mighty well and low noise level but wear I havnt not tested as they currently on my car. You really know and feel what the tyre is doing on the edge.

All these tyres are amazing with grip and noise,you can't go wrong with either of the three. Go with the cheapest out of the f1 and the dunlops.

The only thing you have to watch is the very soft sidewall due to the unique way they are fabricated.

I have just found this out the hard way - first drive after tyres fitted and I've ripped the inside side wall on the edge of a pothole. 100 yards drive, new tyre needed - is this a record? :mad::mad::mad:

I have just found this out the hard way - first drive after tyres fitted and I've ripped the inside side wall on the edge of a pothole. 100 yards drive, new tyre needed - is this a record? :mad::mad::mad:

Sorry to hear that.... had something similar happen when I bought my Conti Premium Contact MO tyres... in my case it was a nail near the sidewall meaning the tyre was unrepairable. You just buy a new tyre and get on with it.

Have Dunlop sport max gt's on my e coupe, 255/35/18's. Not had any issues and they seem reasonably quiet. Booked at 68db.

In my experience (limited to two three different size tyres) 7mm, but it's possible that it varies for other size tyres I suppose.

Visit tyre shop with tread depth gauge and check. Yep they will think you're stark raving but premium tyres in these sizes aint cheap so who cares what the tyre fitter thinks...

Feel for you, had a nail in side wall week after fitting new tyre a couple of years ago.

Quick update people. So while at Costco yesterday I asked for a quote.
265/35 r18 Michelin pilot sport 4 £158 fully fitted
Or
Goodyear eagle F1 asymmetric 3 for £133 fully fitted

They stock Michelin and Goodyear need to be ordered in which take couple days.
So if your a Costco member then give them a try

Costco regularly have cash back offers on Michelin if you buy 2 or 4 at the same time. Been impressed with their service in the past too (Bham warehouse). Parked last car (Saab) in tyre bays, walked in and the guy on the counter greeted me with "Saab 95?" Yes I said "you've got the wrong tyres fitted" he said, going on to explain that whilst they were the correct size the load rating was wrong, Saab specify a higher load index than most manufacturers as I confirmed when checking the openers book. Good news was that Halfords replaced 2 tyres for fitted previously that I'd had 10,000 miles on with Michelins of the correct spec FOC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom