Continual Blood Glucose Monitoring?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

brucemillar

MB Enthusiast
Car
C55 AMG Wagon - W124 300te 4matic Wagon - BMW 4.8is X5 E53 - SWB Pajero 3.5 V6 24v
Folks

I appreciate that some may not feel comfortable discussing on an open forum so please feel free to PM me if you can assist.

My Cancer surgery (transchiatal oesophagectomy) left me with 'hypoglycemia.

I am not diabetic but the Hypo's are really no different to those that diabetic may experience. The management of this is achieved by me:

* Using a meter to test my blood at regular daily intervals.

* Recognising the on-set/symptoms and taking glucose to balance my blood levels.

* Carefully managing my diet to avoid all simple sugars (boring)

Failure to do the above can result in me losing consciousness.

So we know the main triggers (sugar) and we know the treatment (glucose) the grey area is the predicting and monitoring. Static testing is flawed, in that it gives a snapshot view of that point in time and not a holistic view that allows one to take proactive action.

This week I will be kitted out with the Abbot Freestye Libre https://www.freestylelibre.co.uk/libre/

This will/should provide me with a continual monitoring system that will start to build a picture that enables me to recognise and predict episodes in advance and remove the guess work that exists with the current method.

I love the use of technology here and am disappointed that, as yet is it is not compatible with Apple's iphone. That appears to be down to issues with APple and their NFT security (used for Apple Pay) and Abbot and their use of BT and NFT in the transmitters?

I am trying to find some real life experiences (outside of what I can read on Google) from people here, who have tried or are about to try this technology.

My other side concern is the the NHS refusal to accept this technology in prescribing the patches. These are not cheap but are cheaper than my current cassettes. That is a different argument for another day.

Is anybody willing to share please?

grober

Thank you. My consultant is not as keen on the Dexcom solution. But I am awaiting call back from them to discuss as (like you) I found them and like the fact that they have an Apple solution here today. I will update when I have spoken with them.

Bruce,have you reported your hypoglycemia to the dvla?it's a condition they need to know
about.

Bruce,have you reported your hypoglycemia to the dvla?it's a condition they need to know
about.

Yes. It is monitored and controlled along with retained charts etc.

I have never had an episode, or the symptoms, while driving. Some say that this may be down to posture, mood etc.

My worst episodes have occurred when I forgot to take my medication, then found myself, alone and far from home (dog walking). The collapse was inevitable and I just lay down.

My symptoms allow me a ten to fifteen minutes to react from the on-set, to the start of collapse, and they are very pronounced and not at all discreet.

Bottom line is: If I thought I was a risk I would not drive - full stop.

I am glad you are on top of it,be careful my fil was shopping in Sainsburys last month a

and had a hypo (he's diabetic) the ambulance was called and he was treated,they then

help him to his car,watched him drive off then duly reported him to the dvla.Next day

they contact him and tell him to send his licence in and stop driving in three weeks

time as they are revoking his licence for 6 months.He can apply for it back after that

period depending on medical reports stating his condition is managed.They were

unaware of his condition prior to the report from the nhs guys and did not like that.I am

sure you would not endanger yourself or others,just be careful,I know you are safe.:thumb:

Having now watched the insertion video does seem very fiddly compared to the abbot freestyle! Hopefully if Abbot want to break into the US market they are going to have make their system APPLE compatible also.

The Dexcom (I have been advised) is:

a) Fiddly
b) Only lasts seven days - Then more of (a)
c) Some say, uncomfortable to wear due to it's bulk.

The Libre is:

a) Easy to put on.
b) Lasts 14 days
c) Unobtrusive to wear - although some report that it is easily knocked off, as it has to be worn at the top of the arm.

I have found some Google stuff that suggests that Abbot/Libre will have an Apple version available in 2017.

The issue seems to be that they wanted to use Apple's NFT to avoid the need to scan the sensor for every reading. NFT would allow for a constant or predefined scan/read rate. The issue with NFT (seems) to be around security in releasing the code to third parties, given it's use for Apple Pay.

I will go ahead with the Libre which I will receive this Friday. My Consultant says that it's only downside is it's failure to communicate with Apple. The benefit of this being, it is one less device to carry around (no scanner required) just use your phone.

Well as stated. New Freestyle was fitted by me tonight. Painless and easy to fit and so far absolutely comfortable to wear, to the point I have forgotten its there.

The sensor is transmitting correctly and appears to be vet close match to my usual manual pricker meter.

After just a few hours, I have to say I am enjoying not having to stab myself. Just waft the reader over my arm (and over clothing) and it reads first time.

The software is working on my Macbook without issue.

Whats not to like?

Sorry to read about your problems Bruce,have absolutely no idea about blood sugar levels and the like,but hope now you are fitted up with this new Freestyle,you will be fighting fit.

Update:

9 days in now with the Libre Freestyle. It is fantastic and, as they say, life changing.

As the data map builds I start to see (for the first time) what is happening and when 24 hours a day, every day. I can now see that, as suspected, I am suffering in my sleep. In fact, every single night I have had big drops. So now I can proactively tackle this through changes to eating times and diet.

The biggest most liberating change is not having to continually ***** my fingers to test blood. Along with the confidence of knowing what is going on and being able to control it.

Back into battle again with the NHS who still refuse to help with the funding, despite the massive savings that this device brings them.

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom