Contis, Dunlops or Goodyears?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Taff814

Car
C220 CDI Coupe AMG Sport Auto
I have a C220 Coupe AMG and looking to change all 4 tyres. Fronts are 225/40/18 and rears are 255/35/18. Its a toss-up between Continental Conti Sport Contact 5, Dunlop Sport Maxx RT or Goodyear Efficient Grip.

I don't drive like a demon but had done 7K in the 4 months I've owned the car.

What should I go for?

Or 4's that are out now :)

I've not experienced the 4's but certainly can recommend the 3's, exceptional grip levels in the dry and wet. Not too noisy if you swap them out at 3mm tread depth

From your list.

The RT's for grip and feedback.
Conti's for slightly less grip than the RT's but. with a soft wall and less feedback.
Goodyear least grip of the above but will cover more miles with middle of the road wall strength.

As you don't drive like a demon, I doubt you'd notice grip level's between either, buy on price..

Thanks everyone. I will buy on price because, as G.P. mentioned, I don't drive like a demon so price comes out as slightly more important than grip. I daresay that some would disagree with me.
Thanks again.:thumb:

If you don't push the car at all get Vredestein ultras Vorti's, had them on my old CLK55 and could put down all the power in the wet in any gear. Great in the dry too. I imagine they'll be a lot cheaper then anything else you've suggested.

For any maniacs out there it has to be michelin's.

Bridgestone Potenza Adrenalin RE002

Have those on the front. Not exactly fuel economic...at all, though I rate these high for grip and feel of the road.

Downside, they do not make these in our size for the rear. Damn.

Bridgestone Potenza Adrenalin RE002

Have those on the front. Not exactly fuel economic...at all, though I rate these high for grip and feel of the road.

Downside, they do not make these in our size for the rear. Damn.

Must admit, Bridgestone Potenzas have been the worst tyres I've fitted in the 10 years I've owned it. It the OP is buying on price, Falken ZE914's are as good as any of the premium brands for a lot less money.

Russ

Was a big believer in Continental until I bought this Jag XF-R with Dunlop Sports fitted, they're unbelievably quiet to say they're 20".

Any truth in keeping with the tyres it came with new? I remember some time ago reading a technical article that stated this saying the suspension and steering would be set up for that specific tyre. No idea if this is true but have stuck with Goodyear Eagle, until replaced with Efficient Grip, but they have the lowest noise rating and have given good mileage on a heavy vehicle which I do tend to drive too fast but without any of those panic moments.

For any maniacs out there it has to be michelin's.

They are getting better I must say, taken some decades through, but still not for me yet..

Michelin seem to do very well in the Le Man 24hr, year after year, after......

Michelin seem to do very well in the Le Man 24hr, year after year, after......

But their road tyres are always the dearest, never the best. Rest assured half the price of the tyre is going towards advertising & race tyre development.

Russ

I went from 215/40 18 Conti SportContact 2/5 to 225/40 18 Goodyear EfficientGrip - significantly quieter, softer ride, better mpgs and feels like a better grip too.
A winner all round, in my opinion.

Any truth in keeping with the tyres it came with new? I remember some time ago reading a technical article that stated this saying the suspension and steering would be set up for that specific tyre. No idea if this is true but have stuck with Goodyear Eagle, until replaced with Efficient Grip, but they have the lowest noise rating and have given good mileage on a heavy vehicle which I do tend to drive too fast but without any of those panic moments.

Have no idea what the original fit was on my car. Would be interesting to try find out though.

I've decided to go back to the orginal Conti Contact 5s. The Norwich Mercedes dealer can do all 4 tyres, fitted, for £492.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom