Controlling Logic??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

whitenemesis

MB Club Veteran
SUPPORTER
Car
Lexus RX450h F-Sport with Takumi Pack 2020
The more I read about the electronics in my car the more I wonder, "what is the controlling logic? Where is it stored?"

I know there are a number of SAMs (what does SAM stand for?) that control functions depending on certain conditions.

Is there an overall logic ladder somewhere? Are these akin to PLCs? Or is it just hard wired switching?

I know that the wires carry information in digital form, hence the need for STAR to enable functions and let the "system" know what modules have been installed.

Anyone shed any light on this?

Its like workgroup computing with each control module containing all the software it needs to perform its function and make choices based on the information it gets from other control units compared with the decision tree stored in its program.

The SAM's (Signal Acquisition Modules) perform various functions such as reading in fuel tank level sensor information and placing that data on the CAN or activating the headlights when the "lights on" message is received so for the most part they are switching modules.

The car does not have a server and client based environment but a set of equal modules all transmitting and receiving information that is required for the correct functioning of themselves and neighboring units, a small catch is some modules are more "equal" than others for instance if the rain/light sensor goes offline your only going to get a warning on the dash and the inconvenience of having to manually activate the affected systems but if the EIS dies your going to have a big problem not because its in control of the rest of the car but because the other control units are waiting on the messages generated by it to activate.

A power roof control module for example wont function if the EIS fails simply because it wants the key to be in the correct position before it will operate and if the EIS is not reporting that it wont run the pump or the ECU wont release the engine for starting because its not received the data from the EIS telling it the correct key has been inserted.

Its supposed to be a fault tolerant network thats why it uses a star topology a switched environment like whats used in LAN's would allow for a better network for obvious reasons but if the switch where to fail everything would fail, in the star setup the failure of any one module should not bring the whole network down with certain exceptions of course, the only switching that occurs in the cars is what takes place in the gateways connecting the busses and to a point they can also fail if the AGW was to go down no big deal you would lose the entertainment system but thats not exactly critical if the ZGS was to fail however you would have a more serious problem because its one of the main connections between the networks.

Last edited:
So, it s a dispersed system? No central controlling node? How does the STAR D input re-configure the set-up?

Thats correct it does not have one master controller for everything.

Star connects to CAN via the central gateway and can then communicate with the modules as if it where a part of the car.

Thats why when you retrofit a phone you don't just tell the car you have a phone now you have to tell the control modules individually.

In the case of a phone the MOST/D2B has to be configured and so does the cluster its not issuing one command that does it all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom