Convenience feature not working!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sparkyme24

Car
Mercedes 2015 saloon bluetec
Mercedes c class W205 remote convenience feature where you can open / close windows and sunroof - is not working!!

I keep holding the unlock button on the remote but nothing happens!!?

is this suppose to work only in summer when it’s hot. Doesn’t it work during not so hot days?

Any help will be highly appreciated

Last edited:
Have you checked the batteries? Are you holding it close up to the receiver in the door handle? On my CLK it stopped working due to water ingress, but check the basics first.

If it's the same system as on my W204... then you need to point the IR transmitter at the end of the fob, at the small IR receiver in the driver's-side door handle, when pressing the button.

On my car, it works when the fob is placed within 1" (or less) from the door handle - and on bright sunny days I also have to shield the fob from direct sunlight while pressing the button.

That said, your W205 may have a different system... I don't know.

Have you checked the batteries?

As above. The batteries might be OK for the remote door locking/unlocking, but too weak for the IR to work.

Have you checked the batteries? Are you holding it close up to the receiver in the door handle? On my CLK it stopped working due to water ingress, but check the basics first.
Yes checked on both my keys. Batteries new. Yes tried all angles. Close and far from the door

Yes checked on both my keys. Batteries new. Yes tried all angles. Close and far from the door

By the sound of it, the IR receiver in the door handle might be faulty?

By the sound of it, the IR receiver in the door handle might be faulty?
How do I check this? Am I right this will not just work in summer hot days but any time even in cold weather?

It’s a 20 min repair job.
  • Take out the door receiver.
  • Melt away some of the plastic covering the circuit board.
  • Re-solder 2 joints.
  • Re-install receiver into door.
  • Enjoy your convenience feature again, and it will work from 1-2 metres away.

How do I check this? Am I right this will not just work in summer hot days but any time even in cold weather?
It should work all year round, but when mine starting playing up, it would only work when we were in the middle of a heat wave. Anything cold and wet, it would not work, until eventually it stopped working in hot weather too. Water gets into it, especially if you use a pressure washer directed at the door handles. And if you have the LED lights in your door handles, they will be next to go. Keep away from them when pressure washing.

Do you have keyless entry or just remote? I presume it was working ok?

As Major 774 said, the joints in the door lock dry out and need re-soldering, very easy to do, had to do my W203 and worls perfectly now...

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Yes keyless entry. It was working ok before

How did you previously use it? With the key or door proximity switch? It doesnt work from the key if you double lock (2 presses of the lock button) the car, which turns of the keyless radio function. It does work year round regardless of temperature, just not in the wet.

With keyless entry you just rest and hold your finger on the door sensor on the W205 to activate the closing function (the small depressed area on the outside of the handle). Pressing and holding unlock on the key will open windows and sunroof on this model car if you are quite close to the driver door (there is not an IR sensor like the W203/204). I'm assuming this is what you have been doing.

It won't open the windows however if the windscreen is wet, as it uses the rain sensor to close the windows/sunroof if it rains.

How did you previously use it? With the key or door proximity switch? It doesnt work from the key if you double lock (2 presses of the lock button) the car, which turns of the keyless radio function. It does work year round regardless of temperature, just not in the wet.

With keyless entry you just rest and hold your finger on the door sensor on the W205 to activate the closing function (the small depressed area on the outside of the handle). Pressing and holding unlock on the key will open windows and sunroof on this model car if you are quite close to the driver door (there is not an IR sensor like the W203/204). I'm assuming this is what you have been doing.

It won't open the windows however if the windscreen is wet, as it uses the rain sensor to close the windows/sunroof if it rains.
Thanks for the message. I used it previously with the key. I used to hold the key slightly away from the car and pressed the unlock button this opened the windows and sun roof which doesn’t work anymore. I don’t know if this has been disabled and needs to be reenabled?
it is W205 so as you said perhaps it doesn’t have the IR Reciever

on my w212 e220 i have to hold the fob directly on the door receiver for it to work

Ok got this to work. All I had to do was change the battery of the key remote!!
Note I used varta battery rather than energiser not sure if it makes any difference but it works for me now!!

Ok got this to work. All I had to do was change the battery of the key remote!!
Note I used varta battery rather than energiser not sure if it makes any difference but it works for me now!!
Didn't someone suggest this right at the beginning of the thread?
Glad you got it sorted anyway.

Didn't someone suggest this right at the beginning of the thread?
Glad you got it sorted anyway.
Yes, but not till post number two!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom