convenience function disabled

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

badmoon

Car
W221 S500L
I keep getting the above warning when I first start up. I have replaced both batteries as they were 6 and 12 years old and although the frequency of the warning has reduced it still happens. Any thoughts

:dk:

Alternator on its way out or possibly something 'leaching' current?

Both can be tested for by a competent inde.

I know it sounds crazy, but check your headlights are completely off, Dad had same issue and it turned out to be that the switch wasn't quiet on the 'off' as a result it slowly drained power over time

The switch is easy to knock

How far and how often do you drive the car? Lots of electronics in these cars and by far the biggest cause of consumers off messages is due to infrequent short journeys.

Also MB issued an update to the battery control module firmware that raised the threshold for these warnings. Might be worth asking if this has been done.

If the message clears quickly after starting the car there probably isn't any problem.

Last edited:
Once again thanks for the replys I always have the lights on auto and typically drive about 5 - 10 miles a day with the occasional 500 ml trip once a month. The warning stays on for about 1- 2 mls

I drive ~16mls perhaps 3-4 times a week with 50-60mls runs at the w/e, come this time of year and over winter I see the message occasionally. It usually changes to consumers now available before I leave my driveway.

I put my car on trickle charge (Ctek) once a month for 24-48hrs. System battery is 1yr old, auxiliary battery is original (9yrs).

I do 18 miles to work and same back and don't get these.

Only time I did was when I had my 2008 main battery and previously a duff aux battery.

Could be alternator: I got away with just a new control pack rather than the whole thing.

There is also a battery control module that can give iffy outputs.

If you have the welcome light feature (fog lights etc light up when you open car) disable it and turn the auto lights off. Enough drain on start up without adding to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom