Convenience Functions Temporarily unavailable

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogbreath

Car
2005 E55K AMG
Hi all
I've had this message every now and again since I bought the car in May. The car is not a daily driver and I use it maybe twice a week but not for long runs unles there is a meet on..! It's never been a problem but a couple of week ago the key fob wouldn't open the car, changed 2 new fob battery's and all good I thought. Anyway yesterday me and the wife went for a blast up the coast and on start up I got the battery message, not a prob went off and told me everything was available after a few mins driving. Wife who has a bad back decides to put heated seat on to ease her pain, kinda had it on and off for all our 6 hours driving, on the way home 'ESP defective visit workshop' came on. I've read on here that this is the first system to say there is a problem when the voltage drops...? Turned the car on and off when I got home and the ESP message came on at startup.then the key stopped locking and opening the car.
So would the esp and key problems be Dow to the weak battery... I'm of for a battery test tomorrow.
Thanks Lee
Sorry for the long post..

Low battery voltage will flag up both 'Convenience Functions Temporarily Unavailable' and ESP/ABS faults.

Yes, it's a bit of a classic issue on these.

Chances are it will either be your batteries or alternator.

Mine used to do it but a replacement set of batteries not long after that and replacement alternator 18 months ago saw the back of them and they have not returned.

If you search my posts within the last two years - one of them contains the voltages I experienced before and after.

The reasons could be.... bad battery, issue with charging circuit, issue with high current draw by faulty component, or just car not being used frequently enough.

The former will be resolved by new battery, the latter by trickle-charging the battery when the car is not in use.

The two in the middle will require some further diagnosing.

But on balance it is most probably a faulty battery.

Thanks lads, if it is the battery's which do you recommend? And is there any special procedures for changing them so I don't break owt....lol

Mine displays the same message but nothing about ESP. Shall I expect it soon?

Thanks lads, if it is the battery's which do you recommend? And is there any special procedures for changing them so I don't break owt....lol

Go for a good quality AGM battery Lee. Get a quote from the main dealer before rushing down to Eurocar Parts. Even with ECP discounts, the main dealer are still competitive on price.

When changing battery, neg lead off first and on last. You may have to reset the windows and sunroof.

I used MB batteries - my inde prefers them.

This lines up with the advice on here.

ESP shouldn't be showing up but then again, I got some quirky stuff with mine whilst the voltages were not where they should be.

I'd sort the electrics and see what pans out personally.

Cheers guys, I will report back when I've had the battery's checked.

Went to my local garage as I was pushed for time, wife wanted to go shopping,grandkids...etc...
So lad went to check big battery in boot, said his machine wouldn't give a reading and was coming up with battery is goosed basically.... Hmmm ! Didn't check Aux as he couldn't find it, I thought F**k this I'm out of here. I'm not doing It all for him. Gave Merc at Hull 2 calls no answer, so rung Merc Grimsby for a price for the Battery's. £247 for the pair. Then said he could give me a discount if I bought them both today, £209 all in:thumb:
My thinking is at least I can rule the battery's out of the equation if I change them. So I'll swap them over Thursday.

You got a good deal on buying the batteries as a pair Lee. The small aux battery is £75 on its own from MB.

Hi guys
Car running perfect but still got the Esp defective message showing on startup. Is it just main dealers who have star ?

Indies also have STAR.

Also some low cost readers (icarsoft/Autel etc) can also read and reset ESP/ABS fault codes on Mercs.

deleted...............wrong info:doh:

Last edited:
Mine displays the same message but nothing about ESP. Shall I expect it soon?

I think through reading this site the battery convenience message is a fairly common one, but could be a range of diff probs....ie... Charging system, Battery's,switch,sensors etc....
Whether my ESP message is due to this and just needs clearing, I will hopefully find out today.
Lee

Yes, they will all hit the convenience stuff as their batteries and / or alternator wear out.

Anyone got a Lateral Acceleration sensor knocking about with their spare fuses and bulbs....:crazy:
So that's what Star said was wrong with my car. Luckily they have just dropped the price.... It was £600+ before August but it's been dropped to £264 inc vat.
I used McLeod Mercedes Indie in Brigg
Really nice friendly garage who only work on MB, great to find a local indie I feel confident taking the car too!
So should be back to normal next week
Lee

Just to update this.....
Everything fixed....! New sensor fit this morning, all tested and everything re calibrated on star... No faults no warning messages...... I'm happy...
Right what else can I break....lol
Lee

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom