Convertible abuse

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bpsorrel

MB Enthusiast
Car
'21 C300 Coupe, '20 SLC Final Edition, Peugeot 208 (hers!) and a new Ford Kuga in Russia
After receiving yet another dose of mindless abuse directed at me by the dumb English under class when at the wheel of the SLK it got me wondering if anyone else suffers this...

Never had a problem in any of my other MBs, so it's not "mercedes abuse" as such.. :D

Curious...

I always remember an old boss of mine having a full large McDonalds strawberry milkshake thrown at him whilst in traffic.

As awful and disrespectful as it was, it was bloody hilarious!

I find if you run them over the noise stops after a while.

Great idea Charles, might try that next time!

I've only had the one incident which I dealt with by means of a direct challenge and the ensuing embarrassment of the potential vandal in front of his wife and friends...but we live in a country with many good guys and a few total pricks, I'm afraid we all have to take the rough with the smooth.

Not sure an SLK is man enough for the job though. Something built from finest British girders would probably do the trick.

Interestingly I have just returned from a leisurely stroll along the seafront in the glorious sunshine. The whole 'Golden Mile' was stop start traffic with revellers stopping the traffic every few seconds at the Pelican crossings.
It got me thinking was how vulnerable I would feel in a convertible, with people milling around. On the open road obviously a different story. I also noticed a large element of convertible drivers ( mainly BMW) with a 'smug' look' as you admire their cars, the same look you get from 4x4 drivers in the snow!

Yes, I agree, some convertible drivers almost look as if they're asking for trouble, but in my case, I'm very low key about it and even drive through the town with the roof up, only putting it down out of town for "country lane" driving!

I've been driving convertibles for the best part of 25 years, and the only 'abuse' I've had in that time was an incident where someone lobbed a waterbomb at me while I was stuck in traffic. Oddly enough, James May recounted a similar incident in the June edition of Top Gear magazine.

Jealous morons,do they not know that we have waited months to get the roof down and enjoy the sunshine.It might pay to carry one of those huge powerful water guns,you know the ones that drench you,sorry them.

never had an issue in the SL or any of the drop tops i've had over the years. However do know of 2 friends with SLK's who had grief.. Though out of probably 10 friends who have had SLK's that isn't a high percentage.

Never aware of any abuse when I had my Porsche or MGB convertibles - lots of admiring comments though. Is it perhaps a feature of the part of the country where you drive?

When I had one I never had any problems, even when driving through some rough parts of London. Only takes one idiot though.

Is it perhaps a feature of the part of the country where you drive?

Sadly I think it might be. My neighbours weren't exactly joyful when it came to live with me! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom