Convertible E220 Somerset ECU help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just a thought but the roof on my Boxster will only operate if the parking brake is on, not sure if the same applies to your car ? I got caught out when I stopped the car to raise the hood and couldn`t get it to operate , then realised I hadn`t put the brake on. Easy done particularly as yours is an auto and you may just put it in park without using the brake?
Good point thanks but it definately works even without the break on, When it works.

http://www.autolib.diakom.ru/CAR/Mercedes-Benz/1995/E320/SYSTEM WIRING DIAGRAMS/5449.pdf
AND

POSTING these reminded me that the cabriolets contain an auxilliary fuse holder which has the notorious cartridge type fuses which are prone to galvanic corrosion where they clip into their holders- worth checking/cleaning
see thiss thread
Soft Top Fuse??? What is this???

dsc05591-jpg.407285
Thanks for that. I had seen the thread a while ago too. Fuses look good to me see picture. And testing with multimeter fuses seem ok. In the other thread it mentions None ----- Aux fuse holder ------ 8 Amp (this is the rollbar deployment solenoid first and may not be required for top operation)
Do you know where that one is located?15877352680114878152183265732322.jpg

I think thats the auxilliary fuse holder pictured. Are you using the blink code reader as detailed here?
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I think thats the auxilliary fuse holder pictured. Are you using the blink code reader as detailed here?
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
No did not do it right. Did not let go of switch. Now working. Got 2,3,6 and 8 flashes

I'm sure that the Aux Fuse Holder is the one on the right of your image.
As you say, the fuses look good and if they test ok with a multimeter...........

With the roof up or down, it doesn't matter, do the headrests retract from the switch on the dash repeatedly ( 5 times or more)?

I've found that the roof pump in the boot pulls a lot of current so normally operate my roof with the engine running.

I just tried. First time up and down ok. Second time up fine but not moving down again neither with front or rear switch and now roof opening is not working. That is the usual problem. They sometime work sometime don't. Will read code now

Page 17 of the attached.

Attachments

• DTC_List_W124_M104.pdf
    792.8 KB · Views: 7
Just read the code at socket 9 as head rests were not going down and only one flash.

And passenger foot well for the roof only reads one flash no code stored too. Slightly frustrating not being able to find the cause. I bet in couple of hours or tomorrow it will work again

When pushing the roll bar up button you can hear the motor trying to push them up nothing on way down I wanted to say and suddenly after 2 or 3 attempts moving down again

And now they seem to have stuck half way down after moving a couple of times up and down

Motor off read code again. Once again only.one flash. Back inside pressed button. Initially nothing but after 3 seconds roughly they moved down again happily. If anyone can make send of this much appreciated.

3 things I would do-
1.cancel all the fault codes-- explained in video -- and run your test operations again
2. renew all those ceramic bullet fuses concerned with the soft top and roll bar after cleaning up their holder clips back to bright metal
3. check your battery voltage pre and post fault- if the battery is more than 5 years old renew it

3 things I would do-
1.cancel all the fault codes-- explained in video -- and run your test operations again
2. renew all those ceramic bullet fuses concerned with the soft top and roll bar after cleaning up their holder clips back to bright metal
3. check your battery voltage pre and post fault- if the battery is more than 5 years old renew it
Thanks. I deleted all the codes after writing them down. I will get some new fuses and change the battery. Had one ordered already.

Christoph

Hi Christoph,

Can you not leave the headrests down? The roof should work correctly with the headrests down.

Kind regards,
Andy

I have changed the battery and waiting for my new fuses to arrive. Reading faults did not indicate any major issues. I have opened it a few times and it seemed fine but I have not dared to raise the rollbar so far. Sadly weather not that great to drive to work with roof open. Thanks for all the help and I will write update once fuses replaced and I had a few trips.

Hi Christoph,

Does that mean, when the headrests are down, you get good roof operation and no flashing lights on the dashboard roll bar switch?

Kind regards,
Andy

Yes that seems to be the case. If headrest are down or moved when I pressed either the roof opening switch or the one of the head rest switches it always worked perfectly. That is why my suspicion was either ecu or some other head rest fault. I tried changing the head rest switch in the past but made no difference. The problem was at times when I opened or closed the roof the head rests started going up before I could let go and then there might have been the problem of not going down again but not always. Hope makes sense.

With regard to the above diagram , as well as having similar for my R129 , there were some step by step descriptions of the roof operation , describing the sequence of events both opening and closing , which switches operate at each step and how they should stand ( open or closed ) at each point . I was able to use this to diagnose a switch which had gone slightly out of mechanical alignment on my R129 roof and to get it working again .

The W124 Cab , being more or less contemporary , is probably similar .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom