Convertible Roof

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bmb1959

Car
2000 Mercedes CLK320 Convertible Automatic
What’s the best thing to clean the convertible roof on my CLK 320?
It’s been parked under trees as one point and has a green line round the stitching.

When the hood on my wife's Smart Convertible went green around the edges after we moved to Wales I was faced with the same problem . Solved by selling it and buying her a RAV4 then I sold my ML and bought an SLK 55 , Simples :cool:

What’s the best thing to clean the convertible roof on my CLK 320?
It’s been parked under trees as one point and has a green line round the stitching.
I would go with Renovo cleaner , then maybe Renovo colour (If it needs it ) , then Renovo waterproofer . All good stuff

If it’s only a little green , use Milton baby bottle sterilising tablets, any convertible roof cleaner from Halfords , and a wash with Johnson’s baby shampoo .
Then reproof at the end

Milton in water gets good reviews, as does baby shampoo. Pesonally I used Renovo shampoo and their scrubbing brush, followed by colourant as my 968 hood had faded, then their proofer. Not quick - after scrubbing the shampoo into the hood it takes a lot of hosing to wash it off, the colourant is thinner than water and gets everywhere, is easy to remove when wet but a PITA once it's dried! Worth doing though, as my 968 roof still looked good 6 years later!

When the hood on my wife's Smart Convertible went green around the edges after we moved to Wales I was faced with the same problem . Solved by selling it and buying her a RAV4 then I sold my ML and bought an SLK 55 , Simples :cool:
Already got Seat Tarraco and Seat Ateca ,Merc is being restored,so your suggestions is of no use to me.

Milton in water gets good reviews, as does baby shampoo. Pesonally I used Renovo shampoo and their scrubbing brush, followed by colourant as my 968 hood had faded, then their proofer. Not quick - after scrubbing the shampoo into the hood it takes a lot of hosing to wash it off, the colourant is thinner than water and gets everywhere, is easy to remove when wet but a PITA once it's dried! Worth doing though, as my 968 roof still looked good 6 years later!
Thanks for your help.

I didn't think mine looked too bad when I got the car, that was until I started to clean it. A friend gave me an Autoglym hood cleaning kit after they'd sold their convertible so I decided to use it. I'd have probably gone with the Renovo or something if I was choosing but figured I may as well try this free one.

Here's the before shot, a little green but not too bad?
50301219181_517253d96c_k.jpg

As the instructions suggested (I know right?), I soaked the hood and covered it with a sheet for a few hours to let it soak in:
50301218766_688796c1d9_k.jpg

Agitate with a scrubbing brush but not too hard and then used a wet vac to drag the muck out of the roof:
50300532158_4aabe509ee_k.jpg

50301373147_9fd41bedc6_k.jpg

It was pretty bad!
50301218576_13e7cad80b_k.jpg

This was getting ready to proof it, what a difference:
50301219116_f1583b2232_k.jpg

That was early this year shortly after I got the car. It still looks clean but doesn't live under trees etc. only issue I have now fluff and pollen sticking to it.

I didn't think mine looked too bad when I got the car, that was until I started to clean it. A friend gave me an Autoglym hood cleaning kit after they'd sold their convertible so I decided to use it. I'd have probably gone with the Renovo or something if I was choosing but figured I may as well try this free one.

Here's the before shot, a little green but not too bad?
50301219181_517253d96c_k.jpg

As the instructions suggested (I know right?), I soaked the hood and covered it with a sheet for a few hours to let it soak in:
50301218766_688796c1d9_k.jpg

Agitate with a scrubbing brush but not too hard and then used a wet vac to drag the muck out of the roof:
50300532158_4aabe509ee_k.jpg

50301373147_9fd41bedc6_k.jpg

It was pretty bad!
50301218576_13e7cad80b_k.jpg

This was getting ready to proof it, what a difference:
50301219116_f1583b2232_k.jpg

That was early this year shortly after I got the car. It still looks clean but doesn't live under trees etc. only issue I have now fluff and pollen sticking to it.
thank you

Can use Milton sterilising tablets and Johnson’s as above and finish with fabsil there is a massive thread on uksaabs about roof care

I use Johnsons (blue not purple) and proof it using Fabsil Gold which is absolutely fantastic

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom