Convertible top maintenance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

55AMGCLK

SUPPORTER
Car
CLK 55 AMG
Hello all

I wanted to check your thoughts on what regular maintenance should be done in lubricating the soft top moving parts as preventative maintenance.

Generally I try and do the following annually:

Apply lithium grease on the hinges which are metal to metal.
Apply silicon grease on moving parts which are metal to rubber.
Apply MB special lubricant to rubber roof seals.

Look forward to your thoughts / advice around soft top lubrication.

Do the soft top models have any water drain channels similar to that on the SL, if so they would require frequent checks.
I have a custom made board to hold the roof of my SL in the semi open position to allow checking of all drain tubes.

Do the soft top models have any water drain channels similar to that on the SL, if so they would require frequent checks.
I have a custom made board to hold the roof of my SL in the semi open position to allow checking of all drain tubes.

good shout, this should definitely be added to the checklist.

Never mind "MB Special Lubricant", if it's anything like the VW Krytox they sell for the Eos it's bloody expensive, Gummipflege does the same job and can be bought from Micks Garage on Ebay (look for his listing for 2 tubes not 1!!), many have recommended it, I've used it for about 9 years on my 968 cab, S204 and now SLK!! I do all the door, boot etc seals as well as the folding roof seals, especially just before the frost season starts, stops the doors sticking!! For the metal joints I use a spray dry silicone, no mess and it works.

Never mind "MB Special Lubricant", if it's anything like the VW Krytox they sell for the Eos it's bloody expensive, Gummipflege does the same job and can be bought from Micks Garage on Ebay (look for his listing for 2 tubes not 1!!), many have recommended it, I've used it for about 9 years on my 968 cab, S204 and now SLK!! I do all the door, boot etc seals as well as the folding roof seals, especially just before the frost season starts, stops the doors sticking!! For the metal joints I use a spray dry silicone, no mess and it works.

you are right, the MB stuff was £35-40 from memory for 15ml! gummipfleg is what I will be buying in the future!

Where are these channels/drains?

The mains ones on CLK run along the windscreen pillars on both sides. I can take some pics for you when the whether is a bit better. I cleaned and checked mines last summer.

The weather is still pretty bad but I found the pic below on the net. Let me know if you have any questions, the drain is on both sides of the car. I managed to clear them by using some strimmer cord. Just need to be careful not to pierce the rubber channel.

20D80D07-2DEC-4222-A21F-BE4E4620D1B0.jpeg

Thanks, I’ll check this all when I do the deep clean/reproof ..... once we get a dry day or 2.;)

The weather is still pretty bad but I found the pic below on the net. Let me know if you have any questions, the drain is on both sides of the car. I managed to clear them by using some strimmer cord. Just need to be careful not to pierce the rubber channel.

View attachment 93151

I cleaned mine out at the weekend

I see the mention of strimmer line - if you can get 4mm square cutter line (Oregon) it's ideal for clearing drains like this. I used to have a big strimmer that used this line, and used it many times on roof and similar drains on my 968, it's stiff enough to push down the tubes but flexible enough to get round the corners. Must remember to get some back from the friend I gave the strimmer and accessories to!!

I would have thought strummer line was very “curvy” and difficult to pass through the drain channels.
I have an old speedo cable in the tool box which is ideal for such a purpose but the last time I cleared the drains on my SL, I used a length of outer brake cable from a bicycle which I used to clear the plenum drains on my Rover 75.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom