Convertibles - BMW E93 vs Audi A3?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

derektrotter

Car
MB
Hi All

I'm now considering the option of a convertible for the next couple of years (thinking it may make driving more fun in the summer?), requirements are:
- Automatic
- Petrol (ULEZ!)
- Reliable as possible
- 4 Seats, maximum C class sized car and no bigger
- 40MPG combined cycle or close as I'll be doing 12k miles a year and using as my daily driver
- Under £10k

I did look at the 1 series convertibles however apparantly their engines have a design flaw, as it will be my daily I've ruled it out due to reliability concerns.

Anyone have any thoughts on either model or alternatives to look at?

My concerns are comfort and reliability at this stage.

PS I'm not familiar with BMW's but as a sanity check, is the below classed as a E93?
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201908101003252
Not interested in that particular car as such but just a example of the kind of model I was leaning towards.

Last edited:
Have you thought about a Saab 9-3 Convertible?

OK - I just thought it had more interior space than the others you mentioned.

The 1 series and the A3 have very little legroom unless the front passengers are only about 5 foot tall. Certainly only really of use with very young children in the rear.

The 3 series equivalent would be the A5. There is also the Vauxhall Cascada, Volvo V70

If you do really mean more of a compact 2+2 convertible then there is the Astra, VW Beetle, VW EOS, Mini

What is the budget / max age you are looking at. In the 2008 age range the Saab 9-3 would be my choice as a previous owner. Would take one over a similarly aged E class or 3 series convertible..

The E class convertible is actually a C class and might suit you size wise. I would go for one of those given your budget, it will run rings around an A3. You can Pick up a nice early 4 cylinder petrol within budget.

below classed as a E93?
Yes it is the E93, I did a bit of research on these but I was looking at 6 cylinder models. The 6 pots were known for high pressure fuel pump failure, but the later versions were upgraded so most should have been replaced by now. I think it was the same with injectors etc.

The 1 series and the A3 have very little legroom unless the front passengers are only about 5 foot tall. Certainly only really of use with very young children in the rear.

The 3 series equivalent would be the A5. There is also the Vauxhall Cascada, Volvo V70

If you do really mean more of a compact 2+2 convertible then there is the Astra, VW Beetle, VW EOS, Mini

What is the budget / max age you are looking at. In the 2008 age range the Saab 9-3 would be my choice as a previous owner. Would take one over a similarly aged E class or 3 series convertible..
Volvo C70, not V70 :) And it really is a full 4 seater - once you’re in it! (Like all 2 door coupes). Folding hardtop though, not ragtop. But might be a bit old for you, as they ceased production in 2013.

I’ve not driven one and so cannot recommend but the Vauxhall (Cascada?) is a great looking car in this class, and a rare sight.

Thank you all, I already have a W212 so i've ruled out the convertible E class as it will feel the same interior wise (I fancy a change), out of all the suggestions I think i'm leaning towards the BMW, I'll do some more digging into the reliability of the E93's and then make a decision :)

I have a E93 3.0 M-Sport 2008 60,000 miles and firstly there is next to no legroom in the back - they are basically 2 seaters with a luggage platform, it is made worse with the m-sport seats. However those same front seats are superbly comfortable for sports seats (Recaro).

Things to look out for on these are leaking cam covers and that could mean a new cam cover as well as the labour to strip out and replace. The 3.0 is a superb engine, silky smooth. I would avoid the 335 versions (twin turbo) as these have wastegate issues and to get to the turbos you have to drop the front subframe I believe to get access. Ours has been very reliable in the last 17 months of ownership. Had to replace the thermostat which having bought I got the garage to do as it is difficult to get at if you don't have a lift - even the garage said 'that was hard'. Also changed the rear shocks as the originals were shot. Heard about the HPFP but not had that issue on mine. Make sure the roof is perfect and lines up properly. They only allow 2mm tolerance on the setup so are not for amateurs to adjust. Check the roof rubbers as well.

Love the car, great drive and in Sport mode really sings - definitely go for the m-sport for the seats and better suspension setup. Saw you wanted 40mpg as a daily driver - then the 3.0 is out as in reality as a daily (wife going to work) it averages out at 25mpg.

I would avoid the 335 versions (twin turbo) as these have wastegate issues
The last of the 335i model had a different engine with a single twinscroll turbo (around 2010 onwards when the N55 engine came out), aren't these supposed to a better engine in terms of reliability issues? I think these are the one to go for if looking for a 335i.

Plenty of room in the back of an A3 cabriolet but the amount of creaks and noises they make when you’re driving with the hood down is enough to drive you insane!

I have a E93 3.0 M-Sport 2008 60,000 miles and firstly there is next to no legroom in the back - they are basically 2 seaters with a luggage platform, it is made worse with the m-sport seats. However those same front seats are superbly comfortable for sports seats (Recaro).

Things to look out for on these are leaking cam covers and that could mean a new cam cover as well as the labour to strip out and replace. The 3.0 is a superb engine, silky smooth. I would avoid the 335 versions (twin turbo) as these have wastegate issues and to get to the turbos you have to drop the front subframe I believe to get access. Ours has been very reliable in the last 17 months of ownership. Had to replace the thermostat which having bought I got the garage to do as it is difficult to get at if you don't have a lift - even the garage said 'that was hard'. Also changed the rear shocks as the originals were shot. Heard about the HPFP but not had that issue on mine. Make sure the roof is perfect and lines up properly. They only allow 2mm tolerance on the setup so are not for amateurs to adjust. Check the roof rubbers as well.

Love the car, great drive and in Sport mode really sings - definitely go for the m-sport for the seats and better suspension setup. Saw you wanted 40mpg as a daily driver - then the 3.0 is out as in reality as a daily (wife going to work) it averages out at 25mpg.

Thank you for all the info :) yep looking at the MPG I'd be looking at the 2.0, any thoughts on the reliability of those engines?

VW Eos has a reputation of leaky roof seals unless regularly treated with Krytox (expensive).

Any gummifleg product keeps the seals good, same as for any convertible

We had a 335i e93 and honestly it's the only car we regret selling. I won't talk about engines but definitely go for the M-Sport as the handling is amazing and it's such a fun car to be in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom