Convertibles - roof down & windows up?!

Is it OK to drive around with the roof down but all the windows up?

• Yes - it looks OK

Votes: 19 25.7%
  • No - it looks daft!

Votes: 40 54.1%
  • I don't care either way

Votes: 15 20.3%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BTB 500

MB Club Veteran
SUPPORTER
Car
R129 SL500, W639 Vito 120, S205 C300
OK it's convertible season. Am I the only one who thinks they look completely naff with the roof down but all the windows raised?!

Nope - I agree, unless you're hammering down the motorway at 80mph with strong side winds or something - what's the point in having them up? :confused:

Will

In my SL, at most speeds there's actually less buffeting with the windows down than up!

Only time I used to put windows up with roof down was on the motorway...

Whats the point in having a convertible with roof down and having the windows up around town...

Wind delector or short hair sorts it out.
P

PeterG said:
Wind delector or short hair sorts it out.
P

Or even better - forget the convertibles and just switch on the air con with all windows up when its a baking hot day...;) :) :D

Still not a fan of the 'roof down, windows up' affair, but I can definately say it helps in my car (A4 cab) at motorway speeds on a blowy day.

In this weather though...top and sides down all the way :bannana: :cool:

Will

Personally I think it's just fine - especially if you have kids in the car (as I did when driving like that). It means that they can enjoy the open top experience without being right in the middle of a draft which will give them all colds!

-simon

Yup, only time our SL has roof down and windows up is when tanking down the motorway/autobahn.

With the deflector in place it stays civilised until into 3 figures, and as soon as you exit back onto normal roads, a quick bash on the window buttons and a shove with the left hand and it's back to as it should be :D

No I agree it looks a bit daft just today a guy pulled in at work in a 206cc roof down windows up :confused:

ADY1983 said:
No I agree it looks a bit daft just today a guy pulled in at work in a 206cc roof down windows up :confused:
In a girlies car... no.... as my wife has one in red, i'll not go anywhere near it!:D

I agree with flash, icy interior on a hot day.... no sweat!;)

well Edna's roof is almost always down atm but the windows stay up as it does reduce the draft in the car ;) especially when travelling at speed. Also reduces cabin noise so means you don't have the have the stereo up higher than when they are down ;) .

What does look naff is those driving around on convertibles with the roof up in this glorious weather - unless you have a sensitive scalp - or the roof's bust (Edna - don't you dare!) the top should be off!!

Top down = windows down for me. It was always thus with my, (long departed), Midgets and Sprites.

Pammy, yes, the top of my 'billiard ball' head does get a roasting though :eek:

Portzy.

Windows down unless

1, I'm travelling at motorway speeds

2, The wife is with me (heaven forbid her hair should get blown about)

3, It's cold !!!

Last edited:
Flash said:
Or even better - forget the convertibles and just switch on the air con with all windows up when its a baking hot day...;) :) :D

Your air con must work better than mine then as I had come to the conclusion that Mercedes just can't do cold air con

Like Pammy, and for the same reason, I used to drive with the SLK windows up. I find the SL ok/better with the windows down.

portzy said:
Top down = windows down for me. It was always thus with my, (long departed), Midgets and Sprites.

Pammy, yes, the top of my 'billiard ball' head does get a roasting though :eek:

Portzy.

Factor 15 works quite well:D :D

I must have seen a dozen convertibles on the short drive to Woking this morning (Minis, A4s, BMW 3 series, etc.), all doing 30mph or less in rush hour traffic, every single one had the windows up! It looks REALLY stupid on the 4 seaters.

Oh I did see a couple with the roof up, including an R230. If you don't put the top down on a day like today why did you bother buying a convertible?!

BTB 500 said:
I must have seen a dozen convertibles on the short drive to Woking this morning (Minis, A4s, BMW 3 series, etc.), all doing 30mph or less in rush hour traffic, every single one had the windows up! It looks REALLY stupid on the 4 seaters.

Oh I did see a couple with the roof up, including an R230. If you don't put the top down on a day like today why did you bother buying a convertible?!

May be the drivers/occupants were very "vein" and scared of messin/ruining their hair style up... :rolleyes:

OR

Lazy poeple that dont like dust/dirt geeting inside their car so they dont have to hoover/dust the interior... :D

I have the windows up in traffic if the roof is down - you get the feeling of a bit more privacy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom