Converting A CLS Into A Five Seater

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 37751

Using an upholsterer, a seatbelt, a few bolts and a bit of imagination, are there any problems with converting a CLS from a four seater to a five?

I know I'll have to inform VOSA etc about the change, but I can't really think of any other obstacles.

The middle seat belt. Would it conform...or be deemed to conform if type approval had not be sought by the manufacturer?

If the belt is fitted using a Mercedes belt (and attached to the car in the same way ad the other rear belts) I don't envisage any problems with regard that part of the job.

Are there rear side airbags in the CLS? If so they would have been configured for the rear occupants in the standard position, not further outboard as would be necessary to fit a middle occupant.

Even if the issue is only as renault12ts says, it's still a major PITA.

Walk away and find another project :)

If the belt is fitted using a Mercedes belt (and attached to the car in the same way ad the other rear belts) I don't envisage any problems with regard that part of the job.

It's not as simple as that. You need to show conformity the ECE regulations which will require a physical test, which you wont want to do due to cost and it'll damage the car. You're entering the world of vehicle development that costs OEM up to £500m for a new platform.

edit:
Seatbelts are covered by Regulation 14
http://www.unece.org/trans/main/wp29/wp29regs1-20.html

Last edited:
It's not as simple as that. You need to show conformity the ECE regulations which will require a physical test,

When we've converted vans into campers before (fitting seats or rock and roll beds with integrated seatbelts) it's quite a straightforward process with registering them as campers or six sweaters or whatever.

I'm struggling to see what the difference is between the two.

registering them as campers or six sweaters or whatever.

One's a jumper, one's a car...

Are you intending to knit up some new seats? ;)

I do think you could run into issues with insurance and type approval and maybe also seatbelt anchorage points, especially in the parcel shelf.

Last edited:
When we've converted vans into campers before (fitting seats or rock and roll beds with integrated seatbelts) it's quite a straightforward process with registering them as campers or six sweaters or whatever.

Maybe you;re right, I've never done a camper conversion, only car development. I know that low volume vehicles (kit cars) only have to meet a lower standard than high volume vehicle production. So maybe these conversions come under the former group.

Is the CLS fuel tank under the rear seats? If it is, you'll need to remove it to weld spreader plates for the anchor locations.

The rear overhead console might cause an official (if not practical) issue?

We where able to get our cars through Type Approval by having the cars SVA tested . These cars had new seat belt mounts in the case of a Hearse and in Limousines there was a new custom built seat with a 3 point belt in the centre . We used MB seat belts . On some earlier Limousines we used lap belts .

I'm guessing insurance will be an issue. There's a checklist of mods in categories for them you assess/quote against.

I doubt there's an "add 3rd rear seatbelt" mod listed on their script.

Type approval (lack of) may make them decline, on safety grounds.

However, on the positive side, these days insurers ring the underwriters to check, while you're on the phone (Aviva certainly do), so the answer will come quickly.

Do you think I'd get away with a bungee rope instead of a lap-belt?

I'm guessing insurance will be an issue. There's a checklist of mods in categories for them you assess/quote against.

I doubt there's an "add 3rd rear seatbelt" mod listed on their script.

Type approval (lack of) may make them decline, on safety grounds.

However, on the positive side, these days insurers ring the underwriters to check, while you're on the phone (Aviva certainly do), so the answer will come quickly.

I'll speak to my broker on Monday and see what the craic is with regards the insurance, they're normally very good with any queries.

The rear overhead console might cause an official (if not practical) issue?

I intend to remove the rear arm console thing and replace it with a matching seat base, not yet sure how I can adapt the climate control bit so it finishes flush with the transmission tunnel. I'm going to see how much I can play about with from a facelift W211.

Apart from the obvious "because I can", what's the point of the exercise anyway? It's hardly likely to increase the value of the car, precisely the opposite I'd have thought as modifications involving any possible detriment to passenger safety will have the insurance companies reaching for their sturdiest bargepoles..

Cheers,

Gaz

Apart from the obvious "because I can", what's the point of the exercise anyway?

There are five of us in my family so if we wanted to go to the coast, for example, I'd prefer for all of us to go in the CLS than have to go in the Discovery (or whichever family motor we have at the time)

I'm not worried about it adding value, I'm not worried about the insurance, I am just brainstorming to see what obstacles stand in my way.

I fitted a 5th seatbelt to my cosworth 190. Dvla changed it to a 5 seater with vey little hassle, just a couple of pictures/documents showing that I had used original mercedes parts in the conversion. Once it was changed at dvla I didnt have a problem with getting insurance for only a small added premium.

How long ago?

Was it a four seater to begin with?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom