Converting a LHD to RHD

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KLP 92

MB Enthusiast
Car
Mercedes S600, SL600, C250TD
I've seen a Mercedes SL LHD R129 and was wandering is it economically worthwhile converting it to a RHD?
The car is a low mileage SL60 AMG and is being offered to me at a very reasonable price but i'm not keen on a LHD.
Any ideas and info would be welcome.

Anything is possible.
The best way is to have a doner car for parts as there will be lots to do.
Dash, pedal box, steering gear, probably loads of other bits.

You also need to fill the holes left in the bulkhead on the left hand side.

KLP 92 said:
I've seen a Mercedes SL LHD R129 and was wandering is it economically worthwhile converting it to a RHD?
The car is a low mileage SL60 AMG and is being offered to me at a very reasonable price but i'm not keen on a LHD.

Although anything is possible I wouldn't bother converting it. It's not really worth the hassle. Besides if it's cheap enough you wont help it's value with the conversion no matter how professional it is. LHD isn't really a problem, just a pain at drive throughs & car parks!

Unless you are planing on driving it every day, would the fact that its lhd be that much of an issue.

What about buying an RHD SL500/600 and modding it to get similar performance to the SL60.

Hello LKP92- I looked at a similiar proposition a while ago. A MB technician friend (a mechanic to the rest of us) kindly listed all the parts I needed. The list was rather staggering. I costed these out at 50% of trade price to reflect breakers' prices but found that many were not available ex breakers. When a labour cost of a lowly £30 per hour was factored in, the estimated total meant it was not an economical proposition. The est total did not include any cost for time etc searching for the bits, so the true cost was going to be even higher. I promptly forgot about it.

Sounds like a staggering job :eek: Think I would just put up with it being a left hooker!

Cheers for the advice. I won't be driving everyday but i don't really like the idea of a LHD. Was thinking if i could convert the car to RHD and spend approx £3k on it i would still have a car that cost me over £5k less than a UK RHD.

I guess if you can get a cheap donor car for the parts or know a good supplyer you may be able to make it economical.

One of the main costs will be the time involved so if u can do the work yourself or have to pay professionals to do it.

What is it you dont like about the LHD. Im sure you would soon get used to it after a couple of drives. Also what would the insurance think on the Any Modifications :devil:

Shaun

KLP 92 said:

Unfortunately I am not going to buck the trend of the replies you have received so far.

Even if you managed to find a suitable donor vehicle you would have to declare the modification to any insurance company. (They will have on file the registration number of the donor vehicle)

Some drivers are simply unhappy about driving a left hand drive vehicle in this country, and that is understandable. As a financial prospect it is most probably going to prove to be very uneconomical to convert.

If you desperately want this vehicle then first off you might want to consider spending some time driving your own car in France to see how you get on with 'driving on the wrong side'.

In this country I personally would prefer a RHD vehicle, especially one with the performance of the SL60AMG. Performance driving is all about making 'safe' progress, that includes overtaking when it is safe to do so.

Good luck with your decision,
John

Spend the same money - keep it LHD and buy a villa in Spain to drive to and from!!
Wouldn't you find it easier to get yourself another SL500 and upgrade it........?

You could do this for a grand!

100HP for ‘90’s 5.0L Motors!!!!
BergWerks is proud to announce the first of a new line of nitrous oxide kits for Mercedes-Benz vehicles. The first kit fits the LH-injected M119 5.0L motors and delivers an astounding 100HP and 130lb-ft!!!

Until now, the only way to get close to this type of power gain is a $15,000-$30,000 6.0L conversion. BergWerks offers even more power for only $1,999!!!

This kit works on the following vehicles:
’92 – ’95 500E/E500
’93 – ’95 500SL/SL500
’92 – ’95 500SEL/S500

Read more...

Note: We are looking for customer vehicles in the Los Angeles area to tune other nitrous kits in exchange for free installation. Mercedes only. Contact us at [email protected] to learn more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom