Converting Cluster to KM/H

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

terrymcg

Car
W164 ML 320CDI
At the end of the year I am moving to Australia, and I am taking my C55 with me. I just noticed the other day that the cluster does not have Mph and KMh on the dial, it simply displays the speed in kmh in the little display.

Now I am unsure if this will suit the Australian authorities as good enough for importing. I have a feeling it will, as in the end of the day it does display my speed in km's.

However I don't know if I could live with this on a day to day basis, and it would certainly be an issue if I sold it on.

So does anyone know if you can change the dial on its own(to negate the need for recoding a new cluster with mileage and immobiliser etc) or do you have to swap the cluster?

Obviously I will scour ebay.de for a kmh cluster, if I cant find one I take it they are around £500 from a dealer??

Terry

Sorry if this sounds daft, but I thought the Aussies used Mph?

Doesn't look like it:

roadsigns.jpg

Thanks, but they don't list one for a C55 and I also dont really fancy sticking in an aftermarket overlay.

At the end of the year I am moving to Australia, and I am taking my C55 with me. I just noticed the other day that the cluster does not have Mph and KMh on the dial, it simply displays the speed in kmh in the little display.

Now I am unsure if this will suit the Australian authorities as good enough for importing. I have a feeling it will, as in the end of the day it does display my speed in km's.

However I don't know if I could live with this on a day to day basis, and it would certainly be an issue if I sold it on.

So does anyone know if you can change the dial on its own(to negate the need for recoding a new cluster with mileage and immobiliser etc) or do you have to swap the cluster?

Obviously I will scour ebay.de for a kmh cluster, if I cant find one I take it they are around £500 from a dealer??

Terry

Your new cluster will be costly as its an AMG one. Also itll need to be a brand new one unless you find one with less miles/KMs than yours has.

You can set the main large digital readout to display and display in KMH if needed. You probably need a coding session with STAR.

Last edited:
Your new cluster will be costly as its an AMG one. Also itll need to be a brand new one unless you find one with less miles/KMs than yours has.

You can set the main large digital readout to display and display in KMH if needed. You probably need a coding session with STAR.

Alfie,

If I come across a kmh one with more miles than mine can a dealer not code it back the way?

Alfie,

If I come across a kmh one with more miles than mine can a dealer not code it back the way?

I think it only works the other way so you can make the cluster appear older than it is (in distance terms) rather than newer. Otherwise people would be clocking cars. Just for info ALL clusters record distance in KM. They convert it to miles for the display.

I had someone ask me on Friday if i'd enable TV in motion and 'adjust' the mileage. :doh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom