Converting gas fire to log burning stove

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

A210AMG

MB Enthusiast
Hello

Currently have a Gas 'coal' look fire. Just woundering if we were to convert to a Log burning stove what is needed? Do we have to have the chimney fitted with a flu liner.

Can we keep the current half and surround and fit the 'new' stove in its place.

Obvioulsy the gas pipe would need removing and caping off where it comes in I guess?

Anyone done this?

Its just an idea at the moment but one worth looking at.

Is the gas fire open fronted or sealed behind glass?
I think, but a Corgi man would confirm, the open fronted ones should already have a certain flue class.
Find out more about your flue & then find out what the wood burners need.
Just done a google search for "selkirk flues" and it brought up several results one of which http://www.selkirkchimney.co.uk/products/twin-wall-chimney.html is a good starting point

You should already have a flue liner for running a gas appliance in a flue but will probably need a different one due to the heat a log burner wastes up the chimney.

If you intend to have an open fire then you will need a Class 1 flue but a log burner may get away with a class 2 flue, not sure.

Why the attraction for a log burner if you live in a suburban environment, they need lots of wood and a fair bit of labour which is what puts me off removing the 'living flame' jobbie we have.

A wood burner is great in theory ...............but in practice it is a lot of hard work - dirty and makes the house a mess with a thin film of dust...

Thanks all,

I will look into this more, we have a log burner in my parents holiday house in France and I love it. Its not that messy? Also over winter you can almost leave it 24/7 and it heats the whole house.

Yes would need a store of wood and its not as instant to 'light' but that's ok.

My theory is that Mrs A210 likes the house to be tropical temperatures and our gas use is going up and up. In the long run I reckon it would also save money?

As I say only looking at the moment.

Go for it. We hope to install one at some point (when I get round to checking the local regs on smoke...)

The smell and sound of a real fire on a cold night is very special and imho makes it well worth the aggravation of looking after it. The fake gas jobbies are just that.

Ade

Go for dual fuel, i.e one that can burn either logs or coal.

dont do it :crazy: stick with the gas-- clean convenient
wood/coal, hassle, work, muck :eek:

Just sitting in front of my open log fire...house is clean too. Can't beat it. Yes, tomorrow I shall sweep it out, 5 minute job is well worth it.

I thought if you lived in town there were rules saying basically that you have to use smokeless fuel ... can you burn logs legally ?

When i had an open fire in my last flat , it was lovely , but you end up with smuts on the ceiling , and a thin film of black on every surface and you will have to redecorate the ceiling once a year guaranteed.

But it's worth it , sitting there with a real fire !

We use smokless fuel mainly, but throw a log on sometimes (like tonight). Can't say there's any dirt from the fire in the house (I guess the draw from the chimney is pretty strong). But you can smell coal and logs being burned as soon as you get off at my train station. Plenty of old houses with open fires around London...no plumes of smoke though.

It's one of those personal preferences where practicality doesn't really come into it.

Open fires, BBQs, candles etc - all uneccessary but nice :)

A lot of things we all do are probably not essential or the most 'sensible', but that's part of life I guess :cool:

It'll be lovely for next Christmas etc. Only thing I would say is that it'll start to warm up in a couple of months, so you might not use it much until next winter?

Will

Thats very true, best thing I guess it to look at what would be needed and get it in summer?

There must be discounts on the fires at that time also?

Will look into them.

We are also considering one, as currently we have an open log fire and as menetioned above - the amount of heat wasted up the chimney is phenomenal.

However, living in a surburban area, getting a bi monthly truck load of wood would not be a cheap option for us. Hence still thinking....

best thing I guess it to look at what would be needed and get it in summer? quote]

remember those warm summer days when the heating isn't on but it gets a bit chilly in the evening,

just turn on the coal effect gas fire :)

having to make the real fire :(

don't do it you romantic dreamer this is 2009 technology , coal effects look like the real deal

Last edited:
In our Dining room we also have a coal look old fashioned heater (sort of log burner look) but its electric.

If its cold we could alway use that quickly to take the chill off?

It's only an idea at the moment, maybe a silly one pulling out whats already good to spend more money?

I do love a real fire though, the messing about doesn't worry me :)

just started snowing outside------------ quick turn on the GAS fire, luvelley :) :) :)
we have a red fireglow bulb just out of sight up the chimney, gives out a lovely warm glow

Attachments

• lion 001.jpg
    lion 001.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 19
  • lion 002.jpg
    lion 002.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 19

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom