Converting .MOD files into AVI or MPEG on a Mac

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gucci

MB Enthusiast
Car
Jaguar XF 3.0 Ultimate Black
I have a tidy little Panasonic SDR-S50 Camcorder, but it outputs .MOD files. My Mac isn't impressed. I've seen some third party software that promises to convert the files, but they all look a bit 'toilet'. Is there an easy solution, or recommended piece of conversion software out there?

According to the iMovie 09 support page on the Apple website , your camera produces MPEG-2 / AVCHD files and is fully supported by iMovie 09

https://support.apple.com/kb/HT3290#2

I use iMovie 09 to capture AVCHD files from my girlfriend's Canon camcorder and then convert them to Quicktime movies for editing in Final Cut Pro , along with my own DV footage which I can capture directly into FCP .

Panasonic .mod files are renowned for being a pain to work with.

A friend of mine filmed me & Mrs BTB competing at Olympia in December. I couldn't find anything that would open the .mod files from her Panasonic camcorder in order to edit them. All I could do (using the Pansonic software) was upload to YouTube.

A lot of people say you can simply rename the files to .avi (or even .mpg), so you could try this. Didn't work for me on a PC though - my video editor crashed as soon as I imported any of the files.

Google is probably your friend here! Good luck :)

@balge: be careful, the .mod that VLC can play is the old Amiga era audio file format, not the video one.

According to the iMovie 09 support page on the Apple website , your camera produces MPEG-2 / AVCHD files and is fully supported by iMovie 09

https://support.apple.com/kb/HT3290#2

I use iMovie 09 to capture AVCHD files from my girlfriend's Canon camcorder and then convert them to Quicktime movies for editing in Final Cut Pro , along with my own DV footage which I can capture directly into FCP .

Isn't using Final Cut Pro a little OTT :D.. good as it is it's one hell of a cost for home movies.....

This may be what you're looking for

http://www.iskysoft.com/video-converter-mac.html

Wondershare Vidio Convertor..... I use it all the time

Isn't using Final Cut Pro a little OTT :D.. good as it is it's one hell of a cost for home movies.....

For home movies it would be , but I do just a little bit more than that :D

However , for keen home moviemakers , Final Cut Express is a very good option with most of the functionality of FCP ( or Final Cut Studio as it currently is ) .

A bit like the difference between Photoshop and Elements ( although plenty of amateurs still buy Photoshop ) .

( Downloading the trial of iSkysoft to see what it's like )

Last edited:
@balge: be careful, the .mod that VLC can play is the old Amiga era audio file format, not the video one.

Well it may play that too, but it deffo plays .mod off a Canon camcorder as well!

Actually Windows Media Player works too, but thats probably because of K Lite codec pack

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom