Converting to LPG - any recommendations/advice?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SilverSaloon

MB Enthusiast
Car
1994 W124 E300D Estate, 1985 R107 280SL
Hi

ive been thinking of converting my 7 Series to LPG. I've worked it out and with the savings i should get my money back on the conversion in just under 2 years. I plan on keeping the car for atleast another 4 years so i am pretty sure its the right thing to do.

Has anyone on here got this done?

cheers

derek

Hi Derek,

I converted my Mercedes 230E in 1999 with a DIY first generation kit and would recommend that anyone who does lots of miles convert ASAP.
You must do your sums beforehand and think of it as a long to medium term investment.
The car will run smoother and quieter on the 110 octane Propane (LPG).
It is also possible to remove the catalyst to improve economy and still pass the MOT emissions test.

Hope this helps, good luck.

Karl

Hi Derek

I have two mercedes converted to lpg and it definatley is the best move I ever done.
the old 190e got done 7 years ago with the 1st generation lpg kit a 90,000 miles , it since has covered a further 300,000 as a taxi and still going strong engine runs extreemly smooth and clean,with no problems.
set up and tunning was very easy.

My other car a C180 (w202) has been done with the new sequential system, pleased with it but a lot more fiddly to set up and get right, it has an ECU for the gas that has to be programed via a computer, so if it aint spot on the car doesnt like it.

the old 190e would return 23mpg localy and 30/32mpg on a long run.
the c 180 does 24mpg localy but only 27mpg on the longer trips
posibly needs to go back on the computer to get it all reset.

these kit are available to buy for the DIY but you'l find that you need to have a certificate for the insurance company.

alternatively have it done by a qualified instaler and get a certificate !
shop around if going down this road ! as always there are a lot of rip off merchants out there !

Karl said:
Hi Derek,

I converted my Mercedes 230E in 1999 with a DIY first generation kit and would recommend that anyone who does lots of miles convert ASAP.

>Karl

Please provide more info on your conversion experience please? :)

So far from what I have seen, peoples perceptions on LPG conversions on MB's have been very one sided from. I'm very interested in hearing all about successful LPG tales. Especially since I'm contemplating doing a DIY job on my LWB 250.

I had my ML converted a couple of years ago. It was great until the winter arrived.. the tank was underneath the car which ment the gas go too cold apparently! It then took up to 10 mins of driving to ware suffciently for it to be used.... bummer.

Also the system would cough and splutter when cold. Numberous attempts to fix but the installer but no joy.

Resale seemed also to be a problem.

Lpg will eat spark plugs also.

I found that your really do need a large tank installed, are you happy to compromise the boot space ? I wasn't so could only get 130 miles between refills. Thats a problems on a long run with not many lpg stations around.

I would have another lpg car again, but I would choose carefully the model of car.

Alot to think about.....

Seamster15 said:
Resale seemed also to be a problem.
There are depreciation issues with LPG vehicles, they are often worth less as a result of the conversion.

My advice to anyone considering LPG conversion is to check used values and look into having the system removed and sold separately. If your installation was done to a high standard and the bodywork was only slightly modified then this should be very possible.

hi

very few E65 bmw's seem to of been converted as far as i can see reading thru various forums etc, but i found one in germany that fitted a:

- 83 litre LPG tank inside spare wheel well without modification

- pump outlet was inside the existing filler cap.

I'm going to see if this would be possible on my conversion - cant see why not if its already been done on the exact same model

pics:

filler outlet inside existing fuel filler cap:

4_10.jpg

83 litre tank in wheel well:

5_10.jpg

guage and button located next to steering wheel:

7_08.jpg

i plan on keeping the car for a good number of years...

Talk to Stuart at Alternative Fuel Services Ltd in Milton Keynes on 01908 641333.

I've just had a Discovery converted for £1650 with a modern sequential system and the more expensive underslung tanks...the price is very competitive.

Stuart, runs a 7 series BMW himself, so I imagine he knows exactly what he's doing on them.

The conversion is excellent and you can't feel any difference when the system switches from Petrol to LPG.

In terms of second hand values...I would disagree although this may be specific to 4X4's....my 1998 Discovery cost £2300 at auction for a 74,000 mile car with FSH. Vehicle sold for £5200 last week...in other words below the value of a Diesel version, but way more than an unconverted V8 which nobody wants.

Last edited:
What a co-incidence - I'm also converting my seven series to LPG :) Ok, mine's a far older model, but still.

Have you joined www.the7seriesregister.co.uk yet? A nice bunch of folk, with a friendly feeling on the forum - similar to mbclub, albeit with radically opposed cars :)

-simon

I have been thinking about having a conversion done, but I haven't kept a car long enough yet, I think if I get the CLK I want, I will keep it for years. My brother in law can do a conversion for about £700 to me ;)

Vlad said:
I've just had a Discovery converted for £1650 with a modern sequential system and the more expensive underslung tanks...the price is very competitive.

In terms of second hand values...I would disagree although this may be specific to 4X4's....my 1998 Discovery cost £2300 at auction for a 74,000 mile car with FSH. Vehicle sold for £5200 last week...in other words below the value of a Diesel version, but way more than an unconverted V8 which nobody wants.

That's interesting.

Buy Disco at £2300, fit LPG at £1650, Sell car for £5200. Profit £1250.

SimonsMerc said:
What a co-incidence - I'm also converting my seven series to LPG :) Ok, mine's a far older model, but still.

Have you joined www.the7seriesregister.co.uk yet? A nice bunch of folk, with a friendly feeling on the forum - similar to mbclub, albeit with radically opposed cars :)

-simon
yes i'm on there but there is only a couple of E65 owners on there....

One thing to consider is that LPG is only cheaper than petrol because the chancellor says so. If/when so many cars are converted that his tax take is hit then guess what will happen to the price.

Oh, and if you want to take it through the Channel Tunnel you may be disappointed.

Stratman said:
One thing to consider is that LPG is only cheaper than petrol because the chancellor says so. If/when so many cars are converted that his tax take is hit then guess what will happen to the price.

Oh, and if you want to take it through the Channel Tunnel you may be disappointed.

Indeed, no tunnel I am afraid. A big problem for me, hence the change to Diesel.

If youhave a local filling station that has LPG and a second nice car for long runs, lpg is a great way to float around for pence.

Perhaps buy a second car already converted? hmmm... but then again you never know what sort of condition the system will be in.

It's seems strange but all the local garages to me that have had major revamps/rebuilds etc have had the LPG tanks removed and no longer sell it.
I wonder if special licenses are needed in order to store the stuff and garages just can't be bothered.

Dieselman said:
That's interesting.

Buy Disco at £2300, fit LPG at £1650, Sell car for £5200. Profit £1250.

Its the only way a V8 Disco will sell in the current climate.....if they haven't been converted they are virtually impossible to sell.....I suppose the 15mpg has something to do with it:p

Vlad said:
Its the only way a V8 Disco will sell in the current climate.....if they haven't been converted they are virtually impossible to sell.....I suppose the 15mpg has something to do with it:p

15mpg thats what I am getting at the mo :crazy: I have something wrong but I dont know what, maybe I need to ease up the the loud pedel :D I have just had a new s/s system with remus box :cool:

marcos said:
It's seems strange but all the local garages to me that have had major revamps/rebuilds etc have had the LPG tanks removed and no longer sell it.
I wonder if special licenses are needed in order to store the stuff and garages just can't be bothered.
What I cannot understand is why this fuel has not taken off? Why isn't it so popular. Why aren't all taxis for example LPG. Why aren't all Police cars LPG? Why aren't there LPG garages scattered amongst our towns?

I am neither for or against this technology, I have no opinion either way, so please go ahead and convince me.

Regards,
John the curious

My uncle is a taxi driver in madrid and when I was younger he had an LPG taxi.
Nowadays none of the taxi's run on LPG.
Why
Because hey got crap fuel consumption, they LPG tank took up too much room so airport transfers were difficult because of suitcases etc and the LPG caused some form of corrosion within the cylinder head.
I know LPG systems have come a long way since then but all the taxis are now diesel and the LPG system is just not used. Why:confused:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom