Converting W211 Xenon Headlamps For Driving in Europe

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TomTanderson

Car
2008 W211 E280CDI
Is this possible?

I have read threads covering other vehicles and some are fitted with levers to make the headlamps symmetrical beam for driving 'on the wrong side'

The car manual mentions it can be done and to see my dealer but I run my own business and consequently I never get round to looking at these things until the last moment (my journey tomorrow at 05:00) :D

I have had a look but can't find anything.

Any (urgent) advice would be appreciated!

Take your dipped beam headlight covers off and look inside for a lever, you may need a mirror to convince yourself that one is there ! Move it in the other direction. They may be stiff and require a liitlle bit of effort.

Park the car 10 feet from a door/wall and the dipped beams should either kick up to the right or appear horizontal

Thanks Chas, I found it while you were posting, mostly thanks to my 70 year old aunt ploughing through the 400 page car manual to find another section that actually shows you a small diagram of the back of the light indicating the switch position (halogen version but it isn't very different)

You are certainly correct about a mirror.

For others coming across this post in the future, a mirror is a MUST to visualise the layout. The switch is a fairly tinny galvanised affair that on my car moved quite easily but it is pretty new. The space is very tight and you have to remove the mirror and perform the change by feel. You push down on the top at the back of the switch and it moves about 30 degrees. It also helps to have hands the size of a six year old child, the space is THAT tight.

Not sure I would agree with you Chas about observing the change while doing it - Xenon's run at a very high voltage and the manual recommends not even changing the bulbs yourself let alone shoving your whole hand in the chamber while live :eek:

I didnt mean switch them on with your hand inside !!! :eek:

I meant observe the beam pattern after you had finished :crazy:

Just out of interest are the new beam patterns horizontal or do they kick up to the right ?

Anyway well done,
:D

Last edited:
When I re-read the post I thought that might be what you meant but I thought it worth saying in case someone misunderstood what you meant (just trying to save you from a law suit) :D

My wrists are still bleeding and it is raining so I will pass on having a look at the beams now but will try and remember to compare them when I reset them (and post the results here).

My knuckles are sore too from changing sidelight bulbs

The idiot who designs MB headlamps needs shot ! :rolleyes:

Surgical forcepts with a 30 degree bend might be useful for changing sidelight bulbs!

Last edited:
My knuckles are sore too from changing sidelight bulbs

The idiot who designs MB headlamps needs shot ! :rolleyes:
The problem is that the designer probably had the headlamp on a desk in front of him and that's how he envisioned it's use and maintenance :)

Just out of interest are the new beam patterns horizontal or do they kick up to the right ?
If it's like the headlamps on my W204 all the lever does is put a mask over the part of the beam that kicks up to the left, thus giving a symetrical horizontal cut-off.

The manual certainly talks about making the beam symmetrical. I presume this is just a mechanical process otherwise it would make sense to switch it through the display.

It just alters the optics in the projector lense by mechanical means.

The lever does the same as the picture third down from right....http://www.houseofthud.com/cartech/hids/

Last edited:
Hello all, I realise this thread is 2 years old but it did help me locate the leavers on my w211 xenon lights.

It is worth mentioning though that the lever is positioned differently on each light.
Passenger side. Remove the cover and the lever is on the left hand side of the light (rad side not wing side) as you look at it from in front of the car . It is possible to see with mirror and torch as mentioned above.

Drivers side. Remove the cover and the lever is still on the left hand side of the light (wing side now not rad side), not as I expected on the right! I couldn't see this one with the mirror though but knew what I was feeling for.

Once you know where they are it quite literally takes 1minute per light.
It also would be advantage to do this with cold engine to avoid burning yourself, very tight in there.

Take your dipped beam headlight covers off and look inside for a lever, you may need a mirror to convince yourself that one is there ! Move it in the other direction. They may be stiff and require a liitlle bit of effort.

Park the car 10 feet from a door/wall and the dipped beams should either kick up to the right or appear horizontal
Thank you. I found the right side easy as I could see teh lever without a mirror but the left side needed a mirror and I removed the coolant reservoir out of the way.

Tip - From experience anybody with a SLK (171) and an ML (164) [xenon or Halogen with projector) can change their lights in the same way [it makes the beam go flat]. Always amazes me how many people put headlight converters on the wrong part of the headlight. Only on Sunday on the ferry I saw someone put their stickers over their high beam - I did politely point it out to him :(, his wife wasn't impressed .....:wallbash:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom