Cooked Coin battery

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jasonyw

Banned
I was replacing one these coin BIOS battery on my IBM Thinkpad laptop. I have to solder back the red and black wires, I can see liquid oozing out from the coin battery, it got cooked and dead.:wallbash:

Anybody got a better idea how to solder back these wires?

Can you buy batteries with wire tails? :dk: Then you solder to the tail and cover with a heatshrink.

Can you buy batteries with wire tails? :dk: Then you solder to the tail and cover with a heatshrink.

If I can, then I won't had bothered to solder it. I thought it so simple but didn't realised the coin battery can be cooked so easily. Thanks anyway.

Which model thinkpad is it?

You need a more powerful iron than you would think ... the idea is to apply a lot of heat for a short time. Tin the wire, tin the surface of the battery (ensure it's clean & de-greased first), then put them together and apply the iron briefly to make the join.

The solder does not stick, result overheated the battery.

If someone else thinking of doing it, forget it.:confused:

You can do it with the right technique. You need to know how to solder (prepare the surface, tin, etc.), and as mentioned you need a deft touch with a reasonably powerful iron.

Like anything, it get easier with practice. Not button cells, but here's one of the 14 cell packs I made up for one of my r/c planes a few years back

caracal7.jpg

T30 in common with most laptops like Dell or Acer, standard 3032 coin battery.
There is allegedly a box of FRU cells for T22/30 models at a site I visit sometimes, want me to see if there are any spares I could send you? We no longer have any appropriate models in the corporate fleet! :)

Thanks all who willing to help. The new battery came from a Dell laptop but the two wires were too short for the Thinkpad that why I decided to strip the tiny plates soldered to the battery.

I managed to get spare button batteries from those 99p shop for half a dozen of CR3032. I used the old shrink plastic wrap and insulation tape to make sure contacts were made on the battery sides.

Problem solved and lesson learned never to solder the tail wires to the battery sides again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom