Cooking with wine ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LTD

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Polo GTi (and a travel pass for the train and subway)
I know that the forum has a number of 'foodies' so it must have a reasonable amount of professional chefs or serious amateurs.

Yesterday, I made a nice risotto as lunch for SWMBO and myself. Obviously, this involved opening a bottle of white wine.

As I was driving later that day, I popped the cork back into the bottle and put it into the fridge. It's still there ....

I know that from a drinking perspective, the wine will have a finite longevity.

Does the same apply from a cooking perspective ?

If so, what can I do to make use of wine I cook with but don't drink ? I've tried freezing it but the alcohol content means it just remains as frozen slush.

:dk:

I wouldn't greatly worry about using a neutral white or red for a few days afterwards. However, if you want to keep it in the freezer, just burn off the alcohol through reduction, and freeze in an ice tray to add when you need.

Thanks Charles.

Never thought of ridding the alcohol before freezing.

Then again, I'm a Scot and wasting alcohol is almost a crime :D

We use a vacuum pump and the rubber bung that comes with the pump, keep the wine in the bottle on the kitchen worktop - survives fine! Eliminate the air from the bottle and the wine doesn't oxidize.

If you keep wine open for a few days, it'll turn into acetic acid... which is useless for cooking as it will be akin to (bad) vinegar.*

Never tried freezing wine... the sheer thought makes my gut shiver... just drink the bottle! It's only 75cl after all...

(* on that note - if you do want to make vinegar, you'll need some good wine and a starter culture, or "mother")

I've kept wine open for days without it turning into vinegar. Just pop the cork back in (the way it as in the bottle or another seal).

The pumped vacuvin things don't actually remove much air. The best thing to do if you want to keep something for a few days is pour the remains into a smaller bottle (a half) and seal tightly - there will be far less exposure to oxygen. Some wines resist it well, others don't. I know of a couple of wine friends who swear by freezing halves of leftover wine.

I cooked with wine last evening.

I even put some in the food :thumb:

Yesterday, I made a nice risotto as lunch for SWMBO and myself....

But did you use one of these? :D:D:D:D

Attachments

• risotto spoon.jpeg
    risotto spoon.jpeg
    2.4 KB · Views: 1
I just use a 'normal' wooden spoon ... must look out for the one you picture though :)

I just use a 'normal' wooden spoon ... must look out for the one you picture though :)
I like them, I make risi e bisi once a week, and I must say I find it very useful. Fleabay do a good olive wood one for a fiver posted.

Here you go : OLIVE WOOD RISOTTO SPOON (OL268) | eBay

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom