Cool 613 thermostat E320 CDI

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mercsys

Car
S350, & E320 CDI Estate Avantgarde
I’ve just done a run out to Newbury and back and at an indicated 80mph the engine temp never went over 70º ish with a 20º ambient, so I dropped into my friendly dealership and purchased the most expensive thermostat ever ~£50 but it does come replete with a new housing, sender and seal! so when he offered coolant at £10/jug (that is more than beer, just) I declined on the basis I don’t know what coolant is actually in the system, if its clean I’ll top off with water, and if not I’ll do a full flush and refill at a later date.
So weather permitting I’ll fit the new stat this weekend and attempt not to spill any coolant or beer, and if anyone is interested there could be a picture how-to to boot.

J

It will be practically the same as this, but yours will have a small plastic pipe underneath the housing.

Good Luck!!

It seems that there is a work sheet about for this job; I would appreciate a copy if anyone has it.

There is, I suspect it is less informative than the HOWTO that has already been produced

50 is a lot, make sure you get 92C thermostat. I got mine from Ebay :)

Got to ask, did you have the air con on or off?

Mine runs something like 70°C with the heater on full in winter but >95°C if I set it to making ice cubes. I believe 87°C is optimum, which it does with the climate controls set to 18/20°C in this weather.

I also think you have to drain a little coolant off to fit it, and it should have antifreeze in there at all times, it's not just for Christmas. Drain flush and refill, even Halford's best stuff is not beer prices. Given mine is worked hard, I do not use the minimum concentration, and use the best oil (I got 350k out of the departed Volvo doing this).

#6 The A/C was off, the new stat is speced at 92° according to MB, I will be checking it!!
If i don,t see clean intifreeze Ill be doing a flush/fill too.

J

Done

I hadn’t seen this excellent how-to when I made my original post, so I won’t attempt to replicate it.

Having just finished my stat swapout, a few notes for the E320, S210…
I didn’t need to remove the oil filter, you will need a good socket set though ¼” or 3/8” drive max.
I decided to drain the rad, as I had removed the lower engine cowl for other reasons (4 bolts underneath 3 on each side). The drained coolant was good and clean, so I filtered it through a paper town and replaced it on completion. This saved having to dispose of the old coolant (please don’t put old coolant down the drains, its nasty stuff) and the cost of the replacement.

Reasons for the new stat…
The misses won’t complain as much in the cold.:crazy:
There should be a MPG benefit.:rock:
There should be a service interval benefit.:rock:

TIP replace the lower front cowl before test driving or at least, replace the 2 rear bolts, or you will get an alarming scraping sound around 30mph! You could also do some damage if the rear cowl snagges on something solid!!!:doh:

It will be practically the same as this, but yours will have a small plastic pipe underneath the housing.

Good Luck!!

I hadn’t seen this excellent how-to when I made my original post, :doh:

Good Stoff.

I had been referring to this HOW TO when I made my first post, but it would seem that I forgot to paste the link..:doh:

Just a thought, I’m going to keep the old stat to allow me to make a fitting that will allow me to back flush the cooling system without flooding the engine bay. :rock:

:) Okak okay...

I decided to drain the rad, as I had removed the lower engine cowl for other reasons (4 bolts underneath & 3 on each side) :doh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom