cool lights suggestion

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

guydewdney

MB Enthusiast
Car
906 Sprinter 313cdi
a friend of mine has just picked up a 98 735i - nice car.

What got me thinking was a simple interior light - next to the interior mirror are two red LEDs which shine on to the gearbox area, creating a very subtle glow that allows you to see things (fag packets, coins etc) without being blinding (like the 'make up lights' - which are about 20 W each - and theres two per side!)

So - is there a continuous feed from the lighting circuit up there (as per the switches / dials) - and if so - anyone hazard a guess as to the wire colour?

I'm pretty sure there will be one as the door lights switches are there...

I feel a little modding coming along :bannana:

Last edited:
Mine had this, they must have pinched the idea from BMW. As you say there is a light shinning from the rear view mirror onto the gear selector, only its white in mine not red which I think I prefer!

I also have this in my W210 and also in all the footwells.

The only thing is that my lights are Orange. The future's bright! :D

What would be cool is a mod using UV Led's. So there wouldn't be any visible light as such but certain things would luminesce...

Tigger said:
What would be cool is a mod using UV Led's. So there wouldn't be any visible light as such but certain things would luminesce...

What, you mean like fluff, cat hairs and dust :rolleyes:

Sp!ke said:
What, you mean like fluff, cat hairs and dust :rolleyes:

Cat hairs? In a Merc? ;)

pluggers said:
Ive got "dog hairs" on the back seat,does that count? ;)

Possibly, but here's a cat that's always welcome in my Merc! :D

SM22005-L.jpg

Miaowwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!

Last edited:
i had uv leds in my footwell and pointing at my dash controls in my last car, still have loads of UV LED's left over...but i found it wasnt much help on the dash, but great for the footwells!

I could have marked the dash in some way, round switches or something to make them glow, but these led's didnt show the dust up very well and im not exactly one to keep my car too clean!!

Ricky

P.S. our ML also has this.

V12 said:
i had uv leds in my footwell and pointing at my dash controls in my last car, still have loads of UV LED's left over...but i found it wasnt much help on the dash, but great for the footwells!

I could have marked the dash in some way, round switches or something to make them glow, but these led's didnt show the dust up very well and im not exactly one to keep my car too clean!!

Ricky

P.S. our ML also has this.

I quite fancy these Nichia High Power Ultraviolet LED with Wide Directivity (1000W Optical Output!) but at £30 they ain't cheap!

33382i0.jpg

Maplin's do give you a quantity discount however.

i bought a LED (aN led?) from maplin, a small variable resistor and a concave led holder.

drilled a hole in the fake 'knob' under the reir viw mirror and installed. Soldered wires to LED, via resistor to the grey/green (IIRC) wire in the main light consle on the roof.

hey presto, BMW-esque lighting. Nice effect, just enough light to see coins / fag packets etc, not bright enough to distract.

I might go round the car doing the same for the footwells / side pockets / central box thing.. Pity I cant really take a photo - its too dark.

guydewdney said:
hey presto, BMW-esque lighting. Nice effect, just enough light to see coins / fag packets etc, not bright enough to distract.
On some RVM for the w208/202/210 there is already an amber LED on the underside of it. This is not BMW-style at all but in fact OEM mercedes-benz!

Yep, mine's got the mirror LED shining downwards at the gear selector area, but also LED footwell lights that come on with the exterior lights, not bright but they give a subtle glow, almost unnoticeable.

I expect all the later cars that have the anti-dazzle rear view mirror will have the amber LED in the base of it.

Ian.

Shude said:
On some RVM for the w208/202/210 there is already an amber LED on the underside of it. This is not BMW-style at all but in fact OEM mercedes-benz!

well - i got the idea from a beemer.. :p

i have yet to have a go in a new e class or new (post W reg) c class

guydewdney said:
i have yet to have a go in a new e class or new (post W reg) c class

I doubt mine would excite you. ;)

Ian.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom