Cool Trick for W202/W210 Owners with Assyst (Newer style electronic key)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

se97mlm

Car
'98(R) Silver C240 Elegance
Yesterday I had the pleasure of a coffee with the guys that calibrate the Assyst service interval thingy and they told me about a neat trick that is not in the user manual if you have a C or E class with the newer style key (younger than 1997).

Namely, you can check the oil level from inside the car electronically over the mileometer display. Previously i only knew it was possible to check the distance to the next service! Here´s how to check the oil level:

With the engine off, wait 10 seconds with ignition on.. then a picture of a clock appears in the trip display and an oil can in the total mileage window (or other way around) At that point press the trip reset button twice. The trip display then shows how many litres plus or minus the engine has or OK. You have to be quite quick after the oil can and clock pictograms appear, because they disappear again after a few seconds.

No more messy rags needed to check the oil! And no there is no excuse before a long journey to check!! :D

Apparently every mile driven is analysed by Assyst to calculate the remaining miles to a service. Cold starts and full throttle driving are punished harshly, whereas long journies under 100mph are awarded "bonus miles"!!

I tried it on my C240, and it works. Anyone with a 4 cylinder want to see if it works and give some feedback?

Regards
Matt

How do i tell if i have a new key? The car's late '97, is it the three button one with the red sensor in the end?

If so i'll give it a go tomorrow, hope it works as it'd be really useful :)

Last edited:
I read this somewhere (possibly the handbook) but couldn't get it to work before. Tried again with se97min's instructions and it works fine (said OK in the display ). Excellent I do enjoy finding new things.

I think I also read that you need to have had the engine off for 5 mins or so to allow the oil to drain before it will work.

How do i tell if i have a new key? The car's late '97, is it the three button one with the red sensor in the end?

If so i'll give it a go tomorrow, hope it works as it'd be really useful :)

The three button key with the red sensor is the new key. The old ones are a traditional key like on most other makes of car

Yeh that's in my handbook page 81 of the 'Exterior' booklet.
Mines a W202 220cdi year 2000. I know the display also says 'HI' & beeps at you if too much oil is added as this once happened to me after a service.

Hi

Cant get it to work in a 1998 E300 Turbodiesel.

Hi

Cant get it to work in a 1998 E300 Turbodiesel.

Can be that for the non-cdi Diesels that this function is not available. I´m not sure how sophisticated the engine management is for those models.

Yep works on my 1999 C220 CDI, as has been said before "well handy", thanks.

Grant

Interesting, doesn't work on my '98 C240 ( I have the new key). Oil icon appears, when I press the reset button twice, all that happens is that the little clock icon below the oil can flashes, then returns to the odometer. Hmmm, i've just given the car an oil change too.

Interesting, doesn't work on my '98 C240 ( I have the new key). Oil icon appears, when I press the reset button twice, all that happens is that the little clock icon below the oil can flashes, then returns to the odometer. Hmmm, i've just given the car an oil change too.

I can only get it working a handful of times, most of the time the Service interval mileage appears instead.

Keep trying and you will see it.

I think you need to press twice in quite rapid succession. It will work on the C240, that i am 100% sure of.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom