Cooland changed color from blue to gold?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Olivier

MB Enthusiast
Car
E300 TD
Hi,
Just saw that my water pump is shot, there was some coolant at the front of the engine, odly it was a wee gold ish in color, once I openend the reservoir, the coolant was defenitly not the proper MB coolant color??? I have changed it when I got the car with the proper stuff.
It is now orange/ gold ish?
I just hope this is the water pump that as desintegrated and colored the coolant, or is there other thing I should be worry about?
Would an over heated coolant change color? To my knowledge the car never overheated and the electric pump is working fne, then the coolat shoult be circulating OK.
Cheers.
Olivier

Its picked up rust along the way, probably when car has been standing for some time? it probably changed colour some time ago..

Oh, that could be it? When I got the car there was no antifreeze, only water :eek:

I guess he's asking if you've been to a car body shop recently?

Because they use crap coolant that's why, there is no other reason why mb blue coolant would change colour unless it's 10-15 years old etc, hen worked at Merc you could tell which cars had been bodyshop as they had fluorescent green or yellow coolant

At work we use Merc diesel engines and 1 of ours was the same, it was about 8 months old, untouched and the 3 it arrived with were all fine but this was about the colour of pee and stunk fishy. Changed and no problems.
Somebody mentioned oil, but in my experience it floats so the header tank would be full of mayo type gunk.

I thought modern coolants were supposed to change colour if combustion gasses leak in. perform a "block test" to be sure.

How do you do a block test?
Cheers.

Where did you get this bit of kit?
Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom