Coolant Change at Halfords

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Ducks back is similar to rain x but doesn't last as long. I'll get you a price for a coolant change with my Indy.

All will work under supervision or shoulder working to ensure the job is checked pre workshop exit, but the point is non dealer garages with such a vast garage coverage will always get negtive press due to the customer numbers.

Look at the likes of dealer owners, Arnold Clarke comes to mind which seems to get slated too. Fact is you get good dealers and shall we say some which don't meet expectations.

Your money, your car, your choice..... Horses for courses as they say.

Agreed.

£40 for coolant change and Duxback, you can't buy proper coolant for that money so something not right.

this is the best you can get G48® | Glysantin® but I went one step further and use waterless coolant Evans Cooling » Home

Just had the coolant done on JSWMBO Beetle using G48 and flush refill and new ECT £80

I agree that there is good and bad dealers , lts just that I wouldn't, take my car to Halford or quick fit.

£65 for coolant change at my Indy using proper Merc stuff. Clydebank.

I agree that there is good and bad dealers , lts just that I wouldn't, take my car to Halford or quick fit.

However, changing the headlight bulbs on my Rover 75 at Halfords for £6 seemed a good deal. They are a sod to change and took two of the lads half an hour!

Also, just remind yourself when your paying £115 an hour plus at a Merc dealer for lets say a oil change, coolant change, pad replacement you are not getting the master tech doing it... its the 17 year old lad on the YTS scheme / apprenticeship who will do it as hes based placed to carry out the job to enhance his experience getting £3.87 per hour or £5.30 if 18 yrs to 20 yrs or £6.70 if over £21.

How did you think dealers make their money ?

I just do it myself , save money and know it's done right .

...but I went one step further and use waterless coolant Evans Cooling » Home

Why? That treacle is pretty much the dictionary definition of snake oil... it has around half the specific heat capacity of water, it's thermal conductivity is also a chunk lower and it's viscosity is a chunk higher than the usual 50% solution of glycol in water

Pretty much every car manufacturer in the known universe warns against running more than ~55% antifreeze in water because antifreeze reduces the heat transfer properties of the cooling system. It's a necessary evil to add some freezing protection and (along with corrosion inhibitors) stop stuff growing in it/corrosion. Something like Evans npg+ is (according to it's MSDS) ~69% ethylene glycol. They don't say what else is in it but as they say it contains both ethylene and propylene glycols it's fair bet that it's virtually neat glycols

Last edited:
Because I have a very expensive complex cylinder head that i dont want to damage by corrosion from a water based coolant.

The Evans link was just an example of waterless coolant the stuff I am using is what's in the BTCC and DTM cars and I know the exact chemistry and compatibility of it.

The weather were having at the moment in Glasgow is putting me off doing anything outside with the car.
I had considered doing the Coolant change myself. Would need a Wet Suit and a pair of Flippers to get near it at the moment.
Dropped a I/4 inch ratchet handle down the side of the engine last week so i'm hoping they will have to drop the under tray to do the change. Hopefully get the ratchet handle and assorted bolts i've lost returned:)
Ian

geraldrobins said:
Good people at Halfords - I agree most probably are. Massive generalisation!! You may get the odd apprentice. There is a viewing window at my local dealer and the workshop contained several cars being worked on but I didn't notice any 17 year olds. we must encourage apprentices anyway but they do need proper supervision. YTS stopped years ago anyway

Was gonna say, would of applied for this YTS

Bulb fitting, license plate drilling and printing, general lights and fixings/stereos and stuff where I want to keep my hands scratch and pinch free, Halfords can do it

Anything else, not too sure. It's like trusting someone with your child!

FGS, it's a coolant change, they're not rebuilding his car from the ground up.

Some of you guys worry about things that don't need worrying about.

neilrr said:
FGS, it's a coolant change, they're not rebuilding his car from the ground up. Some of you guys worry about things that don't need worrying about.

Van service at Halfords, booked a courtesy van- I get the mechanics Vauxhall corsa with his half eaten lunch on the back seat

Didn't mention the balding on the inside of the rear tyres, didn't mention and replace the bulb that had gone out. Which VW picked up not long after (sorted the bulb myself) Not forgetting the ball joint which was on its way out. I know for a fact any Indy or a dealer would notice things like this, even though it's during small service work

...Think I'll stick to somewhere better!

Last edited:
Unsubscribed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom