Coolant change w211 e280cdi

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The coolant in my s212 is green. Just for info.

Mine also came up with a low coolant warning, topped it up, not seen it again for nearly 10months now so not fussing about it.

Well seeing as winter is coming ( not quite, but you get the picture ) I will flush it out and replace with the G48. That way, no confusion as to what is the correct anti freeze to use in top-ups ( assuming that it will need top-up's, that is !!! ) Limited history with the car when I bought it, but the timing chain has been replaced. As I have never replaced the chain in a merc, I don't know what is involved, and if it needs the coolant to be drained during the operation. So I can't take the chance with topping it up, and maybe creating coolant mayhem.

Just changed the coolant in my W211 using MB blue coolant.
  • Vehicles up to April 2014 - Blue coolant
  • Vehicles from May 2014 - Red coolant

If you owned the car from new, and are sure that it's the original coolant still in it, then maybe you could go by the coolant colour, using genuine MB coolant. But from what I have learnt in my search for the "right" coolant, going solely by the colour is not a good idea. The colour in mine was pale yellow, so rather than take any chances, I drained, flushed and refilled with Comma G48. There are quite a lot of coolant manufacturers out there, who match the MB spec, but use different colours. In the past ( when things were much simpler ) you could mix like with like, colour-wise, and it would work out OK. But that's not the case anymore. In any case, once you have changed and flushed your's out, and refilled with the correct MB spec, It will be fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom