Coolant change w211 e280cdi

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pachanga 231

Car
E280 cdi sport 2007
What colour should the coolant be blue or red/pink.
Dealers said it doesn't matter but match up with colour that's been used previously, previous owner said he used a clear coolant!

TIA

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Here's the MB Fluids spec.

Mercedes-Benz Specifications for Operating Fluids: Overview Sheets

Look at sheet 310.1 first, basically its G48 for all cars made before April 2014 and G40 for all cars.

May be best to give a thorough flush if you dont know what was in your car, as I believe some combinations of different coolant types can lead to sludging. (There is a note on these sheets to state that residual quantites of G48 are OK with G40 and vice versa.)

My 211 E220 needs a coolant change this year and I'm going to use the genuine Mercedes stuff. Its dearer but meets all the criteria and ensures compatibility.

I think its G48

I've just been reading the service schedule in my cars handbook and it says that the coolant should be changed at 15 years/155K miles. As mine is 12 years/117K miles is it worth changing now or should I leave to manufacturers specs?

Any views please?

Thanks

my view is , its your car to do with what you like, and for the cost of the coolant , why not change it earlier, im pretty sure we are all guilty of changing the oil n filter earlier than the schedule.

my view is , its your car to do with what you like, and for the cost of the coolant , why not change it earlier, im pretty sure we are all guilty of changing the oil n filter earlier than the schedule.
Thanks for your reply.
Yep, I too change the oil and filter more often than specified so I guess the same would apply to the coolant. I was interested that such a long interval was specified by MB in the first place.

On the subject of coolant, but slightly different problem ( Mods can move if I am in the wrong place.... :) )
History, I bought the car ( 2010 w212 E class 200 cdi ) last January, and to date have covered 5000 Klms. I checked the coolant level regularly, no issues. Then last week, low coolant warning showed on the dash. At the time, I was travelling downhill ( very steep one) and when back on the level, the warning went out. Anyway I got home OK, and let the car cool down then checked it. Was down a bit OK, took about 4-500ml to top it up. This was the 1st time I ever had to top it up. Now today, checked it again, and yes, it needed about 200 ml. So now, I am in investigative mode....noted the date, Klms and qty needed to top up.
My question: ( and my fear ) As there is not any visible leak that I can see from the hoses etc with the bonnet up, is there any way to check if its an internal leak coolant radiator to transmission radiator? I have heard that this was a problem in earlier Mercs ( pre w212 ) but not so much in the w212 and later models?
I understand that there are many places that water can leak from in a engine, but with the w212 651 engine, are there any "generic" places which are prone to leaking? Later on this week, I plan on pulling it over a pit and removing the underbody trays, just to check it out from underneath.
Any suggestion's, comment's etc. are welcome,
Regards, Jim

Along with checking for an external leak also check the engine oil for signs of internal leakage. Oil level would rise and may become milky if enough coolant transferred.
Not sure if your vehicle uses the heating system in the windshield washer tank, but that's another spot to check.

Thanks Skippyjasper…. I forgot to mention that I had checked the engine oil as a 1st step.....it's black as black can be....and shows the same level as when I changed it 5'000 Klms ago. As for the windshield washer tank, that's something I will have to check ( if it's heated or not....) If it is heated,, then that will mean a "Hot" pipe from the heating system ( something like a coil ) in the washer reservoir? Should be easy to see if there is one or not.... That's an interesting idea, and would be great if that is where the leak is.
Thank's again, Jim

Me again Skippyjasper, I have attached some pics of the water reservoir in my Merc w212....do you recognise it as the type that is fitted with heating coil?
Thank's, Jim.

Attachments

• Water Reservoir Reduced Pic IMAG6402[968].jpg
    Water Reservoir Reduced Pic IMAG6402[968].jpg
    505.2 KB · Views: 9
  • Water Reservoir Reduced Pic IMAG6403[967].jpg
    Water Reservoir Reduced Pic IMAG6403[967].jpg
    458.9 KB · Views: 9
You are probably right, it's not mentioned in the VIN details either...….so that rules out a leakage from that point... there is no visible sign of a leak, looking at the engine from the top...Of course, if it's from the pump, it may be that it will only leak when the engine is hot and while driving, and may be hard to see while it's only a miniscule amount, have to wait for the pump to pack in, and then I think that it will be very easy to see it leaking...….:( My main worry is of course that the water radiator is leaking into the trans cooling rad.....and I don't know how to check that. ( except if the trans fluid level increases dramatically ) Have to continue checking it out anyway.. Thanks for your help skippyjasper.

I changed the coolant on my e220 cdi s211 today and found that the drain plug was leaking after re-filling :mad:
There is a metal washer on the plug and this was cruddy so as a temp measure I used a rubber washer which seems to have worked.
Looking at the plugs online, there doesn't seem to be this washer included which is strange and given that the plug has 2 O rings, which I assume do the actual sealing, seems to indicate that a washer may not be required.
Anyhow, I've ordered a new plug and will fit when it arrives. This does mean another drain-down though! :(

Get yourself some of this stuff from Amazon.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00TU8VCB4/?tag=amazon0e9db-21

My leak was comming from the expansion tank overflow tube to the thermostat housing.
With this stuff it was immediatly evident. Had overtightened a jubilee clip and caused an invisible split in the tube. (lesson only learned from experience).

As for the internal leak into the transmission, do a google search or search on here. Plenty of info out there and in here if you can be bothered to 'invest a little time' to search properly.
If this is the case you'd better get onto it NOW. It will kill your transmission dead and you will need a new one. It's fatal and dare I say very expensive.
Best advice is get some transmission fluid out of the box and have a glycol test done at a dealer. It's a known problem but thankfully quite rare now. Very common on W203's.

While doing a change of fluid I'd remove the thermostat, Put the cover back, and put the heater controls on full hot then reverse flush so the heater matrix gets cleaned out. I'd do this to the rad too. Its surprising how much crud comes out. Replace the thermostat with a new one at the same time, you don't want to do it a few months down the road and the car will run better and get better MPG if it gets up to tempreture properly.
Use MB coolant, it's cheap compared to the price of a new block when it freezes and cracks it or if the cheap coolant sludges up your waterways!

Best of luck to all you leaky Mercs.
Been a skinflint and cocked it up before!

Thanks Doggysitter…. I have ordered the kit, and we will see what that can tell....be great if it shows a leaking pipe or other external fitting...anything other than the transmission !!!! :( Its leaking a miniscule amount really, and I have only noticed it since a transmission fluid change about a month ago, so maybe it's just co-incidence, or possibly I disturbed one of the water jackets during the change. As you mention, water leaking into the older model Mercedes transmission via the cooler was a common problem, but not so much with the newer Mercs ( Mine is a w212 ) Hope mine is not going to be the first of a trend......:(
I can extract some fluid from the transmission, but will have to look for a workshop here in Ireland who can test it.
Thanks for all your helpful advice, It's much appreciated,
Regards, Jim.

Think that I have found the leak...Its really a miniscule amount that is leaking, but when I examine the area just under the water pump ( which would be a likely candidate ) there is a very very faint water mark in that area...so far it's the only hint as to where it's leaking from. Will add the leak finder to the radiator, and see how that goes.
The existing fluid is a pale yellow colour, but I don't know if its the original or not. And apparently it can cause major problems if( for example ) newer fluid is mixed with older type. Mercedes spec is MB 325.0, and that was what was originally filled with. But Comma Xstream G48 is also on the MB approved list, same spec MB325.0 .My question is would the Comma antifreeze be mixable with the original antifreeze?

The coolant in my s212 is green. Just for info.

Mine also came up with a low coolant warning, topped it up, not seen it again for nearly 10months now so not fussing about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom