coolant drops

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

recycled

MB Enthusiast
Will anyone be familiar or know why i can see a drops of coolant coming form where the gearbox connects to the engine and dripping to the floor sometimes. not enough to show a huge loss in the radiator.
I have tasted it and except gearbox oil tastes similar to coolant, i think it is coolant.
Thanks

Hopefully it's the heater pipe across the back of the engine leaking, otherwise suspect head gasket.

is this where the matrix is?. i think i shall stick it on a ramp on saturday. too busy now.
why would the gasket be leaking out of here?
no gunk yet in any caps and could overfill of the rad cause this.

Overfill can't cause this.

Just have a good look with a torch, but I'm sure the water will be running down from higher up.

what about the air con drain tubes?? thay sit both sides of the gearbox

Maybe just a simple hose clip loose on the heater pipes or worn heater hose.

The windscreen water drains exit via 2 tubes above the gearbox, it could be this?

Same as on the 210 there is a metal pipe link going across the rear of the engine, this rust through.

I do not have a link sitting out here

but will the windscreen water taste like coolant?

It could taste depending on what screenwash you are using, but in general if it tastes like cheap sweet Italian white wine, then it is..

thanks. do you know at what time/ thereabouts the mayo slimy gunk starts to appear ? i do not want the missus stranded in a dark alleyway in case the garage diagnoses wrongly

If it's dripping it sounds like an external leak.

no ac in this one mate.
i suspect heater matrix as i saw it on the garage once on tv that coolant leaks from the heater matrix sometimes.

Last edited:
Are you loosing coolant?

Get it on a ramp to have a closer look. Coolant tastes bitter sweet (horrible)

Nice one brian.
i shall only swallow small quantities.
At the worst if i have to do the gasket, i know it is a head out job, but do the chain and the tensioners have to come out as well, as i might as well change them too.
Thanks

Yes.

To remove and refit the head you will need to undo the tensioner and split the chain.

How many miles has the car done? You might as well change the chain/tensioner whilst it's all apart unless you're on a budget I guess.

Will

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom