Coolant head gasket test

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Car
s55 amg kompressor
As you know I have the s55 amg with new radiator that is leaking by the seams, it's going back in the garage as they want to run tests for possible head gasket, I did the head gasket coolant chemical test and the blue liquid stayed blue. Is this test accurate or is it not.

As far as I know this is exactly what the garage will do, so yes these tests are accurate. One other check is a compression tests which can also show a failed head gasket.

But would a failed head gasket be able to build up high pressure in the coolant system and blow the radiator, this car doesn't overheat at all when driving. The only odd thing is when the engine is running you can't see it dripping, but when I put the pressure tester on the expansion tank it will start dripping.

But would a failed head gasket be able to build up high pressure in the coolant system and blow the radiator, this car doesn't overheat at all when driving. The only odd thing is when the engine is running you can't see it dripping, but when I put the pressure tester on the expansion tank it will start dripping.
If the cooling system is pressurising theres every chance one of head gaskets is gone , compression testing should show which bank it is , however if youve overheated this engine it would be prudent to do both sides , change the water pump and radiator/hoses , a few £k I`m afraid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom