Coolant hose

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Matt58

Car
2003 E55 sedan
Evening all, whilst wrestling the compressor out of my E55 W211 today I noticed the coolant leak that I discovered a short time back is getting worse so need to contact dealer asap, does anyone know what the main coolant pipe at the base of the expansion tank is called and. where does it go? part number? It seems to attach on to a metal pipe with what seems to be fastened with a metal band, not a spring clip, do I need a special tool
To remove, any advice gladly received.

Looks like the Part# is A 211 500 23 72 from this EPC diagram
It appears to be one continuous pipe from the bottom of the expansion tank to the drivers side of the main radiator.
(Item 95 in diagram)

Thanks AMgeed, really appreciate the leg work, so it looks like the short piece of rubber hose from the expansion tank is some how bonded to a metal pipe that runs along the front of the engine to prob another short length of rubber hose that's attached to the rad? I'll contact the dealer on Monday as I don't want to leave it for to much longer, is it best to bit the bullet and buy the whole unit from MB or could I run a short length of coolant pipe from metal junction to expansion tank, if it's even possible to remove rubber to metal fixing, I'll do whatever is best for the car, I'm in a really good mood today as I've finally tracked down the leak on the boot, the dreaded 3rd brake light which I've now sealed (yesterday) and all dry today after a the wet stuff. If I have to drain system to change pipe, would you recommend using distilled water to mix. Any tips for the Job, bleeding etc. Thanks for your help, still getting to grips with the car, big learning curve helped by people like yourself and others who are prepared to help others out.

Certainly looks like a complete pipe with only one part number. It wouldn't hurt to use distilled water mixed with coolant in the top up.
Bleeding should be easy by starting the engine, leave the expansion tank filler cap off and let the air escape. Just keep topping up until the bubbles stop and the level stops dropping.

Glad you have found the source of the boot leak. It's annoying when there are so many areas it can get in.

Edit. Don't forget to order a new sealing ring (098) when ordering the new pipe.

Cheers for that, I'll get both parts ordered Monday, how many litres of coolant should I order, thanks again.

I'd order 5 litres Matt.

Edit..... Found this DIY guide for refilling the system assuming its been drained down.

Using a 50% distilled water 50% engine coolant mix, slowly fill the expansion tank until the coolant level indicator reaches the MIN mark . The level indicator as viewed inside the reservoir (red arrow), the side of the tank where the clear and black plastic meet are also just about at the MIN level. Trapped air is common when filling a cooling system and can result in improper cooling. It is important to bleed your cooling system each time the cooling system is serviced. Install the expansion tank cap and be sure all bleeder screws are tight. Turn the ignition ON (do not start engine). Set the temperature controls in the vehicle interior to full warm and the blower fan speed to Low. Start and run the engine at idle until it reaches operating temperature and check the cooling level, top up as needed. When done, check the cooling system for leaks. Repeat: Start and run the engine at idle until it reaches operating temperature and check the cooling system for leaks. When warm, the coolant level should be about 1cm above the MIN mark.

Last edited:
Great stuff, love working on the car, especially the engine, what a piece of kit that is, looking forward to sorting valve cover gaskets plugs and leads next. Have a nice weekend mate.

I'd order 5 litres Matt.

Edit..... Found this DIY guide for refilling the system assuming its been drained down.

Using a 50% distilled water 50% engine coolant mix, slowly fill the expansion tank until the coolant level indicator reaches the MIN mark . The level indicator as viewed inside the reservoir (red arrow), the side of the tank where the clear and black plastic meet are also just about at the MIN level. Trapped air is common when filling a cooling system and can result in improper cooling. It is important to bleed your cooling system each time the cooling system is serviced. Install the expansion tank cap and be sure all bleeder screws are tight. Turn the ignition ON (do not start engine). Set the temperature controls in the vehicle interior to full warm and the blower fan speed to Low. Start and run the engine at idle until it reaches operating temperature and check the cooling level, top up as needed. When done, check the cooling system for leaks. Repeat: Start and run the engine at idle until it reaches operating temperature and check the cooling system for leaks. When warm, the coolant level should be about 1cm above the MIN mark.
Evening mate, just thought I'd let you know that I decided to have coolant leak sorted by avantgarde at clevedon, I was originally going to get them to do trans service as car is at 100k and doesn't look as if it's seen any fresh oil in its 18yrs, I spoke to Steve in regards to changing its original valeo rad for a nissens one. Car is with them at the moment, just thought I might as well bite the bullet and get all works done in one go for piece of mind, first time at this garage, from what I could see it's a well run and tidy unit, thanks for your help anyway, still a fair bit of ongoing work to be tackled to get car where I want it. Cheers Matt.

Good call Matt. Steve has many satisfied customers from what I've read and your E55 will be in good hands.
Nice to hear you are tackling the outstanding jobs and making the car as you want it.

Let us know how the car is after Steve has done the work:thumb:

Good call Matt. Steve has many satisfied customers from what I've read and your E55 will be in good hands.
Nice to hear you are tackling the outstanding jobs and making the car as you want it.

Will do.

Evening, just to let you know car is still with Steve, he's still waiting for parts, he's got the rad, but he's waiting on either the coolant pipe or the transmission lines, I'll keep you posted. If you don't mind me asking, how did you lift the back end of your E55, as I understand it's not a good idea to lift on the diff because of the fins?

I never had cause to raise the whole rear of the car Matt. I fixed the carbon diffuser with the car on the ground.
A quick call to Steve and he'd advise the best way to lift the back of the car.

Hope you get your parts soon.

Thanks, I'll pick his brains when I pick the car up. Don't seem to be having much luck with cars at the moment, had a phone call from the owner of the storage facility where my old RS6 is being stored, thieves have broken in and stolen two of the four cats, as well as cats from other vehicles, luckily no other damage, some real scum bags about, just about to sell it aswell to put in the kity for the 55.

Thanks, I'll pick his brains when I pick the car up. Don't seem to be having much luck with cars at the moment, had a phone call from the owner of the storage facility where my old RS6 is being stored, thieves have broken in and stolen two of the four cats, as well as cats from other vehicles, luckily no other damage, some real scum bags about, just about to sell it aswell to put in the kity for the 55.
Evening mate, collected car today, new rad (nissen) gearbox service, new pilot bush and sump plus trans lines, really smooth drive home. Picked steves brain over a few things and drowled over a SLR he was working on. I've seen a wheel on eBay that's the correct et30 that I'm thinking of buying and using as a spare to carry in emergency to get me home, the only concern is that it's a 8.5j not 8j do you think that would fit? Cheers for any advice. Matt.

An 8.5j alloy will fit as that is the width of the 19" alloys for a W211.
Not sure what to expect with an 5j on one axle and 8.5 on the other though:D

This one is the right size assuming you have the 5 twin spoke alloys that are fitted to most E55's

Glad to hear car is back and running well.
Not such good news about the break in. :mad:

An 8.5j alloy will fit as that is the width of the 19" alloys for a W211.
Not sure what to expect with an 5j on one axle and 8.5 on the other though:D

This one is the right size assuming you have the 5 twin spoke alloys that are fitted to most E55's

Glad to hear car is back and running well.
Not such good news about the break in. :mad:
Thanks for info, my 55 came with 5 single spoke fat face alloys that are 8j 18 & 9j 18. Break in is just another of life's bite in the ass moments that you don't see coming, still weather getting warmer and looking forward to summer. Thanks again. Matt.

Evening, just to let you know car is still with Steve, he's still waiting for parts, he's got the rad, but he's waiting on either the coolant pipe or the transmission lines, I'll keep you posted. If you don't mind me asking, how did you lift the back end of your E55, as I understand it's not a good idea to lift on the diff because of the fins?
You can take the heat exchanger off the diff, its 2 bolts. Lift one side up , make safe , reach under and pop it off. I have done it on my C55 , I have to assume the diff is externally similar on your car. It also gave me a good opportunity to clean the fins.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom