Coolant leaking onto belt w203

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

popalock

Car
W203 C Class estate C220 CDI
Hi have a w203 c class 220 cdi.

the coolant is rapidly leaking onto one of the belts, I can’t tell where from exactly. The car is parked at an A road petrol station. I noticed there was a problem when steam/vapour was coming out of the front of the car so stopped to check it out.

i don’t know if the car safe to drive for 25mins to my trusted Inde MB mechanic.

I also don’t know if breakdown recovery will take me given the car is a runner (haven’t fully broken down).

many advice?

btw I ran iCarsoft diagnostics and nothing came up

Attachments

• 6EE7A997-5139-48B3-A278-7F94EEB1451E.jpeg
    6EE7A997-5139-48B3-A278-7F94EEB1451E.jpeg
    32.8 KB · Views: 6
Most likely the water pump, depending on how quickly the water is coming out you may be ok just topping up and driving to your indi. If it is poring out then your recovery should cover it.

Yeah it’s a continuous little stream rather than drops. So recovering then.

is an Inde necessary or any mechanic is fine for this job?

A water pump on a 646 engine is pretty easy, but also easy to get into trouble with. There are different lengths and diameters of bolts and getting the wrong length bolt in the wrong tapping can cause problems. Torque values on the bolts need to be spot on as the pump uses a steel gasket, when I did mine I changed all the idlers, belt and tensioner. I even did the alternator clutch pulley as a bit of a belt and braces job. Choice of pump is either genuine or after market, I went genuine parts all the way with mine for peace of mind.

Hi have a w203 c class 220 cdi.

the coolant is rapidly leaking onto one of the belts, I can’t tell where from exactly. The car is parked at an A road petrol station. I noticed there was a problem when steam/vapour was coming out of the front of the car so stopped to check it out.

i don’t know if the car safe to drive for 25mins to my trusted Inde MB mechanic.

I also don’t know if breakdown recovery will take me given the car is a runner (haven’t fully broken down).

many advice?

btw I ran iCarsoft diagnostics and nothing came up

Mine done that and then the belt came off as the waterpump bearings failed. If you remove the belt you should feel them or you may hear them anyway.
Fitted two water pumps in two weeks one on my C Class One on a E220 cdi

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom