Coolant level

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ibaykiddinyo

Car
MB C220 Estate
Hi all please be kind as I put myself in the firing line to ask what may be a simple question-

Last week a got my C class 220 (61reg) and today had the message to check the coolant, on inspection it does seem to be quite low but I can't see any obvious level marks or guage in the tank, I have read the manual which seems quite useless to me as it doesn't explain itself too well.

Any ideas as to where? All my past cars I have just topped up to the max marks on clear plastic tank.

Sorry if it's so simple I just worry about causing damage,
thanks-Rich

hi i was the same other day when i topped mine up after new thermostat if you look down filler hole in tank you will see a dimple (small protrusion )fill to this level

Did the same last week. Had a display message, attached. Got G48 premixed in halfords and filled cautiously up to the tab(which was not as obvious as it had been made out in the manual). Make sure the temperature is below 70 degrees C(I waited till below 40 degrees C)

Collant Tab.JPG

Coolant Level Msg.JPG

Last edited:
Your car displayed the low coolant message? I'd be checking why the car is loosing coolant in the first place. Have you checked the condition of your water pump, they do fail. What's the mileage on your C220?

Had my water pump replaced last week as it leaking coolant.

Thanks Tristand, that pic is clearer than my manual.

Kam05 I have noticed this in some of the threads I have read when I used the search, water pump problems were linked a few times so now Iv topped up I'm going to be keeping an eye on it.
Mileage is around 48000, how much did the pump replacement knock you back if you don't mind me asking?

I had to replace the water pump on my 60 plate C250 a week after buying it. It had done 60k. We topped the coolant up a couple of times before checking it out properly. The pump was around £180 as its dealer only part and I fitted it myself.

If you do not use the correct Mercedes coolant changed every 3 years you will find yourself changing water pumps and radiators on a regular basis:crazy:

I understood the MB Coolant was not to be changed on the modern engines and lasted the life of the car - it is certainly expensive enough!

My Owners Manual says that the coolant needs replacing every 15 years.

I agree that if the level is low, the reason should be investigated.

On my 2006 car with 50k miles, the coolant level has not dropped in the past 8 years....

Ibaykiddinyo said:
how much did the pump replacement knock you back if you don't mind me asking?

A new water pump set me back about £350 supplied and fitted by my local MB dealer. I guess an Indy would be cheaper? Mine failed at 71k

Thanks all for taking the time to reply, Merry Christmas also
:thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom