Coolant level

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

clk320x

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Tesla Model S, Model X & Mercedes W212 /// Previous: Jaguar XFR, Mercedes E320 CDI, C32 AMG, CLK 320
Hey guys,

Have been getting check coolant level warning on my E class for a few days, temp been bang on no issues though.

Anyway opened the cap today and this is the level:
B380_DA38-17_DB-489_D-_BCDC-_FECC277102_E8.jpg

E430_D849-_E37_F-4_BEA-_AA22-88_B403_DD8766.png

Coolant was around 60-70c at time of picture.

Is the white bar supposed to be covered?

I did go to MB and buy a bottle to top up but it was a blue one, this is red. So obviously I can’t mix them. :(
Can I get this in Halfords? I mean I’m going to drain it all out in a few weeks anyway as replacing the duovalve.

Need the car spot on as got bigger issues to worry about at the moment.

Cheers,
Abs

Last edited:
Hey guys,

Have been getting check coolant level warming for a few days, temp been bang on no issues though.

Anyway opened the cap today and this is the level:
B380_DA38-17_DB-489_D-_BCDC-_FECC277102_E8.jpg

E430_D849-_E37_F-4_BEA-_AA22-88_B403_DD8766.png

Coolant was around 60-70c at time of picture.

Is the white bar supposed to be covered?

I did go to MB and buy a bottle to top up but it was a blue one, this is red. So obviously I can’t mix them. :(
Can I get this in Halfords? I mean I’m going to drain it all out in a few weeks anyway as replacing the duovalve.

Cheers,
Abs

It looks a little low, I had this happen an it was the seal on the expansion tank cap.

As for not mixing them, unsure why not, is the blue just the extended life coolant? If it meets MB spec then it should be OK. If in doubt add some distilled water if it is only going to be in there foe a few weeks.

It looks a little low, I had this happen an it was the seal on the expansion tank cap.

As for not mixing them, unsure why not, is the blue just the extended life coolant? If it meets MB spec then it should be OK. If in doubt add some distilled water if it is only going to be in there foe a few weeks.

Hi David,

IIRC apparently mixing the red and blue will cause them to ‘jellify’ is this not the case?

Good idea about the distilled water topup, I am just unsure on how far it should be filled. The owners manual says ‘up to the black reservoir top’ this makes no sense.

I think it should cover the white tab? but not sure.

Abs

Hi David,

IIRC apparently mixing the red and blue will cause them to ‘jellify’ is this not the case?
Never heard that but obviously best not to risk it unless you have proof otherwise.

I filled it to about a cm over the white tab and once the cap was replaced never had a warning again.

I'd fill it and let it find its own level.

Should be at the top but not covering the white stick, Generally the seem of the bottle where the black meets white bit.

Coolant Blue, Should not mix as you are correct it will go to jelly and clog stuff up.

If its leaking i've known 2x 3.2 cdi I6 to leak around the Stat housing to head, Is the heater Valve ok? as these can get in a right state and leak too.

Radiator been changed?

If its leaking i've known 2x 3.2 cdi I6 to leak around the Stat housing to head, Is the heater Valve ok? as these can get in a right state and leak too.

Radiator been changed?

Rad is new Gav was changed in feb with oem part.

The duovalve I believe is ****ed, when you press the ‘windscreen demist’ It blasts out burning hot air even when it’s set to 18c. Then in winter when it’s cold sometimes when it’s on 24c it’ll blow out Cold air.

I’ve got the new valve but haven’t got round to having it changed yet.

Now I’m a bit worried because I need the car next week, I’ve been driving it a lot with the error on too just monitoring the temp carefully. Maybe I’ll see if my indie can look in Monday.

Where is the stat please Gav? Maybe I can have a look to see if. I can see an obvious leak :)

Left hand side of Engine at the front You will see the Coolant return line from header tank going to it. And yes you will see if there are any coolant mark if its leaking, you will need to take the engine cover off to view.

Due Valve is easy just fiddly

The seam where the Black meets the White is the correct level, if the warning is still coming on when toped up correctly, then check the level sensor in the washer bottle, it has a float inside it that can become gummed up and cause error warnings, the coolant and washer sensors are linked together.

Take the float out of the washer tank and wash it in hot water.

Dec

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I had this issue last year where i was getting the check coolant level intermittently and then after a while it stayed on the dash. We checked the It turned out to be faulty expansion tank or reservoir tank. Check the coolant temp sensor first, if it is ok then it is coolant reservoir tank.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom